What To Do with $500 of Year+ Old Gas?

richardbfin

Participating Member
State
UT
The gas tank on my new-to-me boat is full. 80 gallons. Nobody knows how old it is. At least older than one year. That's a lot of gas to 1) replace 2) figure out how to get rid of. Is there an additive that I should use? I'm probably more worried about gumming up EFI and other damage than anything else.

1678167392159.png

Oh and you can get that entire boat an bilge system white again easy enough...

Hit the entire hull and deck with some Starbrite Mildew Remover and some of those black spots you see (which is mold, and not ground in dirt as you might 1st think) will clean right up! Just don't spray and scrub it with a soft deck brush unless you have eye protection on. I also "highly" recommend you Do Not do it in flop flops either... That is unless you have some toe nails you need bleached out while it feels like you are walking on Hot Coals :oops: in short order! Can be some rough stuff LOL

Just very important that after using it and letting it set and eat... To rinse it all down real well including spraying down and filling up the bilge and having the pump cycle a few times... And if have any Palmetto Bugs (Roaches and ours here in Florida are big enough to tree a dog) or other "things" will all start pulling the eject handle and start flushing out of the boat / bilge like quail from having to deal with it while you are cleaning :p

Dave, thanks for that on the Starbrite. My wife just bought a pressure washer (and added like a million things to my honey-do list), ... the starbrite treatment you describe, rinse well as you suggest, and then go after everything with the pressure washer... that's my plan. I might go fishing a few times before I go after it though. I'm lazy that way :cool:

A good idea is to install an in line canister fuel filter if the boat doesn't already have one. I put mine in the starboard rear seat well where the fuel line was already routed from the tank to the motor. Get a good one that will accommodate a water separator canister so you can monitor the amount of water in your tank. It is also a good idea to use non-ethanol fuel as much as you can. It's a little more money but it could save you some headaches along the way.

Isn't this boat ownership fun? LOL.

Codfish

Totally agree on the Fuel Water Separator and no one should be without one!

iu

See the link here: Racor with clear bowl

Just make sure with this type, that you mount it high enough to reach the drain when needed.

I also had one of this type above though, totally blow out and dump a ton of fuel into the bilge... As such, I would after this tank and maybe the next till you know that fuel has been totally digested. To then, swap it over for just the normal filter canister type with no bowl. The filters (pretty much) all use the same housing and you can then just screw on one that is like a standard Oil Filter with no opening / sight bowl at the bottom.

iu

Option B, carry a small strap wrench onboard and have a standard type onboard for quick replacement on the water IF ever needed.

Be very careful when you go to swap one out though! You can "Over Ape" on one with a strap wrench, and rip the entire filter housing mount right from that plastic hull material so fast it will make your head spin! Combination of Force and Finesse (more Finesse for sure) when swapping one out... ;)

Codfish, Dave - thank you for that. I will definitely add that inline. Will see wha kind of room I have.

The filter housing will also give you a second connection port for the eventuality of a kicker motor. Always thinking ahead. Codfish.

Back