Who fogs Their Motors?

Do you Fog?

• Total voters
With my new 4 stroke

the shop told me just fill the fuel tank, add Stabul and run it for 15 minutes twice a month.

I would say it depends where you live. I am in Vermont and we obviously have cold winters, definitely fog the motors up here! It's not hard to do and don't see the big deal in doing it!

Year-round fishing & diveing solves that problem

I have always fogged my outboards [ 2 stroke engines ] its cheap insurance. However I dont know about the new four strokes. I would do what ever the manual says to do. When it comes to warranties a manufacturer will use any excuse to get out of fixing a problem if they think you didnt follow the proper procedure.

Special K,
Fogging is what you do to protect your engine when it sits under the snow and ice for several months without starting and running to lubricate the cylinders,etc. Since you live in the "SUNSHINE" State you shouldn't have to do that if you run your boat all year. There is usually a section in your outboard motor owners manual pertaining to "fogging". I live on the southeast coast of NC. There's usually enough warm days in the winter to hook a hose to the outboard and run it for awhile every couple of weeks.
John D.

Thanx for the explanation John. Living on the west coast of Fl does have some advantages.
Brian K

I take it a dealer and have the boat winterized. I am pretty sure they fog the motors. I wish I lived where we could just forget about winterizing and go fishing.

Fogging motors

I own an 05' Evirude Etec 40hp. Fogging it is almost idiot proof. I am a new boat owner so I just followed the manual and it took all of 10 minutes. This motor is awesome!!!...highly recommended.

Just as a followup: I normally don't fog my motor even though I don't operate it during the winter months. My motor sat from October last year until this past Saturday. I charged the batteries and when I went to the ramp, it started on the first crank and purred like a kitten. We fished for about three hours and had a great day.

iLive in the north country always fog my engine. Have never had a problem in the spring.

fogging fool

I have always fogged both my snowmobiles, ice augers and my boat's engines for as long as I can remember. This along with running fuel stabilizers before storing for the off season. Never once have I had problems with these machines.

Back