Who fogs Their Motors?

Do you Fog?

• Total voters
Fogging

I have had a Honda 50Hp, Yamaha 15Hp and my 350ci chev/volvo and fogged them all before the long cold winter...With my 115 Merc Opti SW, the manual suggests to drop an ounce of 2 stroke oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over to distribute it...Not sure why they don't suggest fogging, but the manufacturer usually knows best...

L8r
Paul

Fogging oil for Mercury fuel injected

This is from the Mercury site for winter storage...

Why is Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor not recommended in the newer EFI and OptiMax engines?

Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor uses a thick base designed to protect the internal engine surfaces. In some applications we have seen a build up of the thick base inside the injectors, causing the injectors to stick or operate incorrectly. On these models we recommend Quickleen and 2-cycle engine oil as a replacement for Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor. Quickleen is used to clean the injectors. The engine oil lubricates, as well as prevents rust from forming. We continue to recommend Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer to help prevent the formation of varnish and/or gum in the gasoline. Always follow the storage procedures outlined in your Operation, Maintenance & Warranty Manual or Service Manual.

I cannot 'fog' my Honda 4S like a traditional 2S while running, however, I do spray fogging oil into each spark plug hole and crank her over to work the oil around. This is what the manual instructs. Keeps moisture from corroding engine parts. I also spray a light coat of corrosion inhibitor on the exterior of the engine (not fogging oil), then wipe down the whole lower unit and cover with a light film of gear oil.

Fogging

I have always foged my outboards and my merc io. My new outboard is fuel injected, and I have been told to spray #1 cylinder very lightley in order not to foul the o2 sensor. This year I am also decarbonizing the outboard, changing the thermostates and water pump. My last step is to clean the O2 sensor and test it.

Barry

I have the perfect solution to fogging the engine.

Shucks, just go fishing!! Easier and more fun.

Recycle

Agree....The closest I come to that is running salt inhibitor through the motor.

mario
how do you like the c80 raymarine???think it worth the initial cost. i already have the ds500 d/f so i will not go c series but rather indivual componets
GGC

The weather down here in SoCal is awesome. Hardly ever freezing where I am (thats overnight), the ocean permits you to go out nearly every week if you would like.

MolarBoater said:
I've never fogged my engine, is that bad?
Who fogs their motors?
by the way what do you all mean by fogging motors?????

genelie said:
by the way what do you all mean by fogging motors?????

Fogging oil is used to lubricate the internal components of an engine prior to storage. Otherwise, condensation will corrode the motor over the winter months. On carb models, fogging oil can be sprayed as the motor is running. On EFI and carb., you'll want to spray some in each spark plug hole and give her a few cranks to work the oil around (do not run the motor).

Fogging oil is combustible and will burn off quickly the following season when you first start her up.

Thanks....never done that she will sit up to 6 moths....think I should fog her for next year??

genelie said:
she will sit up to 6 moths....think I should fog her for next year??

Generally, yes. What does your owner's manual say? Also, did you purchase a shop manual for your engine? Follow the steps in those documents to the letter. Generally, I would expect to find a fogging procedure in every manual.

My boat is stored in Key West from May thru Ocober. Marina fogs the engine when I leave. It's a 2-cycle 115 hp Johnson and runs perfectly. This will be the third "fogginig" year.

I fog mine unless I run it thru late fall or into Dec (rockfish).
It is a good idea

fogging

I always fog at the end of rock fish season (Dec 31)its cheap insurance for trouble free boating the next season...Its only a few bucks and less than a hours work...

CFirth
owner 01 logic 210cc 150 johnson

I don't fog my engine any more. I live in eastern North Carolina. We have so many days above freezing in the winter that I just start it up every couple of weeks and let it run for a while. I also try to take it out on those special 70 degree days that we get some times in January. I had it in the shop last Jan. waiting on a part for 2 weeks. Everyday was above 70 degrees. The day they called and said it was ready the temp. went to 40 degrees for 2 weeks. I do load up on Sta-bil. I also burn mid-grade fuel with a motor conditioner that Yamaha makes. 1 oz. per 10 gals. gas. I have an 04 60hp 4 stroke.
John D.

live in New Hampshire and don't fog my engine

I live in New Hampshire and don't fog my engine. I stored in with a boat dealer the first two years and they said they fogged my engine, but I never got any heavy blue smoke when I ran it for the first time in the season, so I think they were lying. I don't live near salt water and keep oil in my engine, so everything is lubricated anyway. I also do not open up the spark plugs over winter so I don't worry about condesation--my engine is sealed. I do use gas conditioner, even during the boating season just because my boat may sit for a week or two at times.

A fellow I work with grew up on Lake Winnipasaukee and said his dad never fogged his boat engines and they always started with no problem in the Spring. In the 2 years I have been storing my boat in my garage, I haven't had a problem either and I don't plan to fog it this year either. I do change all the fluids in the Spring, lube all the grease fittings on the engine and my trailer, check the spark plugs, remove the prop and grease the shaft, etc.

If I lived by the saltwater I might consider fogging my engine, or maybe not. Like I said I don't open it up, so it is sealed. It is also in my garage where it is dry.

I hope that helps you,

woodNfish

Fogging

I live in Eastern North Carolina and use my boat year round. Ocean in the spring, summer and fall, rivers in the winter. :D

Back