Wintertime James R Catfishing meet and greet

BigBird

Participating Member
City
CHARLOTTE
Wintertime James R Catfishing meet and greet?

I PMed Ace and Boost and have been discussing a winter time meet and greet on the James River to possibly do some serious cattin for a weekend. I asked Ace if he would give us advice and general local host and I would thow out an invitation and coordinate. I figured we could get a handful of carolina boys coupled with a few virginia and maryland locals but open to anyone.
I am busy on Jan 10 and 31 w/e but am open for others, as well as Feb
I can coordinate a block of rooms as cheaply as possible. I could camp but prefer not this time of year. I am not planning on a structured weekend but hopefully a crowd that want to fish and meet.
Is anyone interested in a Triumph cattin' trip. Throw me a reply and prospective dates and hopefully we can pull it off.
PM me if you want to chat and I will PM you my mobile #.
Thanks,
Lindsay

I'm interested...wanted to get to the James for several years now. I don't have a specific date in mind but my weekends are pretty free. Let me know.

James R

Catfish, now that's something I know how to catch. Let me know when and where and I'll try to drag the lil boat up.

I'm there... Just let me know and I will have to set it up at work. BigB I will be at Badin tomorrow between 1 and Dark looking for Stripers. Come out if you can. I will have my father and brother on the boat.

next couple of days

I will throw some dates up here in the next couple of days. Working on the calendar now.
Ace-You out there.
Anybody else interested? This is the big fish time of the year.

What is the best way to get there and what landing will we be using?????

for you and me

For you and i it will be I-85 till it ends into 1-95. I pmd Ace. I will let him comment on the area/landing. I have been hearing good catches from Chester to Hopewell areas. I know the carolinas river catfish have moved down toward the tidal areas for the winter but dont know enough about the James.

Alright, well lets get the date set so that I can get that Friday off work and do some scouting ;)..... Looking forward in fishing with all you guys!

weekend of 23rd

Ok people-how about w/e of Jan 24th? Fish rain or shine-deluge might reconsider.
i just emailed with Ace and he is having trouble posting here for some reason.

Input and discussion is appreciated. I dont have the money to be throwing around like crazy so will be sensitive to budgetary concerns. The goal here is Triumph owner meet and greet while doing some fishing/networking. Boost and I are talking about doubling up but if there are owners that want to come but not trailer send a shout out.

A few thoughts:
I will take off Fri and hope to get there early enough to fish.
Block off a handful of rooms and get a free meeting room at a hotel within walking distance to restaurant and/or watering hole.
Fish all day saturday.
Saturday night late dinner and table fishing.......
Sat over night????? ( I will go with the crowd here-Do you want to do two nights?)

Put in location would be deep bottom landing up 295 from hopewell.
Map of 9525 Deep Bottom Rd Richmond, VA by MapQuest.
Benefits good bait area and wind protection area

Secondary option would be:
hopewell city marina
City of Hopewell, Virginia
Benefit closer to civilization and developement.

PM me if you want me to send you my mobile #. Looked today and Va fishing license can be done online
Virginia Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Later,
Lindsay

The 24th sounds good to me. I will just be making a day trip down so I don't plan to spend the night. Deep Bottom sounds like a great place to me but then I've never fished this river before. However, there are some nice posts on catfish1.com about the area...here's one:

New Year's Report....New PB! - Catfish1

I plan on leaving Northern Virginia in the early A.M. so if any of you MD or NoVA folks want to convoy down, drop me a p.m.

I'm pretty jazzed about the whole trip...really looking forward to meeting some of you face-to-face.

What time do you plan on meeting? I assume we'll assemble at the ramp?

Sounds like a fun day!

pm map

I will pm each of you a map. Advice from someone there last week is to bring some bait with you. I will bring some gizzards and some live eels just in case bait doesnt materialize.
Chuck we are talking about meeting somewhere before sunup for breakfast near the landing or we can meet at the landing at sun-up. Are you going to have time to do a dinner gathering before returning home?

Trip

24th sounds like a it'll work. Hopefully the mrs. says I can go. Just let me know if anything changes, and what kind of bait to bring other than my usual live types.

24th sounds like a it'll work. Hopefully the mrs. says I can go. Just let me know if anything changes, and what kind of bait to bring other than my usual live types.

Sounds like another Honey-Do list ;)!

Sorry guys,
My Premium Member membership had expired. That's why I couldn't post. I'm in for fishing on the 24th. I'll probably get to Deep Bottom an hour before sunrise and catch bait. I'll have my gill net permit renewed by then (I'm terrible with a throw net) lol.

Looking forward to meeting you guys and getting some fishing in. I haven't been out on the James since last summer (newborns will do that to ya!).

Gonna be a little rusty, but hopefully some of my spots are still good and full of some monsters!

-Ace

fri

Glad you got everythng worked out Ace.
A couple of us are coming up fri. Ill pm ya my mobile. We can talk sometimelater this week.
Lindsay

Ace- - - - - Looks like I'm following you :D......... BigBird..........Still waiting on Mike to let me know if he will be going with me or not.......I may go to HighRock to get bait if it looks like everyone may need it....... Got to get the Bait Tank back in order........Looks like a descent turn out....Mabey we will get lucky and catch some big pig stripers while there :)........Let me know if you need any assistance with any planning. Thanks for getting all this together! Boost

I wish I could make this trip and meet you all. If you have another one this year maybe I can do it. Be sure to post some pictures.

next time

thanks for the reply Jim.
We will try to catch a holiday weekend next time. You know sometimes you have to just pick a weekend and plan it or the planning goes on forever and nothing happens.
stay in touch,
Lindsay

I will have my gill net permit renewed before the meet and greet, so I'll get to the ramp a couple hours early and catch as much bait as possible. I have fished the James almost every weekend for a year and the best bait you can use out there is fresh caught shad. If everyone is planning on putting in at Deep Bottom, let's plan a time to meet at the ramp. I'll be on the water getting bait before sunup. I'll get as much as possible so I can give you guys all the bait you need for the day.
Aside from shad, I have found that eels work well on the James.
My gameplan is all dependent on the weather. If it's not windy, I'm going to head down river towards Hopewell. If it's windy, I will be heading up river towards richmond. Either way you go, there are many good spots within 20 minutes of Deep Bottom.
Looking forward to meeting you guys! The channel in deep bottom loop is kinda tricky, so if you guys want, you're more than welcome to follow me out once you decide which way you'll be heading on the River. If you bring a James River map I might even point out a couple good spots. ;)

-Ace

Sounds like you will have all the bait that we will need........:D...Now Bigbird and I will not have to get wet throwing the cast net ;)..... Looking forward in meeting everyone and having a great time fishing!

Boost

Back