Wintertime James R Catfishing meet and greet

Just Signed up...

to this website and saw there is a plan to fish the James next Weekend. I don't fish it near as much as Ace but hopefully I will be able to make it as well. If so I'll try to get there early and work on some bait to. Only been out twice so far this year, no big ones yet but plenty in the 20 -30 lb range and several of my buddies have boated several over 60lbs.

Ace, I've seen you out there a few times but never stopped, didn't want to distrub your fishing hole, hopefully we can meet up next weekend. How has your bait catching been going. I have caught more in my cast net in between setting up my gill net then I have actually caught in the gil net my past two trips.

Tight Lines

Shep

thanks

Shep are you planning to day trip sat or you coming fri and sat. We are going to get a couple of rooms because Boost and I are coming up early friday.
Pm me with your mobile #.

Shep

Sorry for my manners. Welcome to the site. Are you a new owner or just a new member?
I am jazzed that you are going to make it up next weekend. I am looking forward to meeting you.
Lindsay

ITS almost HERE :cool:.............. We are all going to freeze so bring the cards....We may be spending a little time in the Room with the HEAT :D...... The 10 Day looks like the James River area will be froze solid until Thursday/Friday when the daytime High tops out at a whopping 39degs :D........ Me shouting- - -"BigBird is the cast net man"........ That was like calling shotgun before the rest of the gang did ;)

Looks perfect

I looks perfect to me. steady tempertures all week and lows around freezing on fri and sat. No blue bird skies-now hoping for favorable low winds.
My best day this year was a 18 degree in the am. Expected lows of 31 and 32 are awesome-I am pshyched over that. Thank goodness we didnt plan it this weekend....bbrrrrrr!
I am good for High rock cast net friday morning. I am good for a few casts.
I am washing my bibs, etc right now-Everything in my cold gear bag. I wont be ready for a fashion show but will definitely be warm.
Call me and leave a vm this afternoon if you are fishing tonight or tomorrow. I am out of pocket for a few hours this afternoon. Gotta go work at BP for a few hours but will call you back if I see your number pop up. Working a few hours extra for some spending money.

Fri
Jan 23

28.gif

Mostly Cloudy

54°
32°

Sat
Jan 24

30.gif

Partly Cloudy

43°
31°

to this website and saw there is a plan to fish the James next Weekend. I don't fish it near as much as Ace but hopefully I will be able to make it as well. If so I'll try to get there early and work on some bait to. Only been out twice so far this year, no big ones yet but plenty in the 20 -30 lb range and several of my buddies have boated several over 60lbs.

Ace, I've seen you out there a few times but never stopped, didn't want to distrub your fishing hole, hopefully we can meet up next weekend. How has your bait catching been going. I have caught more in my cast net in between setting up my gill net then I have actually caught in the gil net my past two trips.

Tight Lines

Shep

Shep,

You can stop by anytime if you see me out there fishing. I don't mind it at all. Our trip on next weekend will be my first out this year. We had a baby boy so that kept me busy last fall, then hunting season started. so....now that hunting season is over, I'm back to hittin' the James.
Billy is coming with me, so he'll be throwing the net (I'm terrible at throwing the net) and we'll also have the gill net out.

We'll probably be getting to Deep Bottom around 5:30 am and going out to catch bait. Sometimes it doesn't go well until Sunrise though, so you guys wanna meet at the dock around 8:15 just in case we don't get much bait until sunrise?

-Ace

Shep,

You can stop by anytime if you see me out there fishing. I don't mind it at all. Our trip on next weekend will be my first out this year. We had a baby boy so that kept me busy last fall, then hunting season started. so....now that hunting season is over, I'm back to hittin' the James.
Billy is coming with me, so he'll be throwing the net (I'm terrible at throwing the net) and we'll also have the gill net out.

We'll probably be getting to Deep Bottom around 5:30 am and going out to catch bait. Sometimes it doesn't go well until Sunrise though, so you guys wanna meet at the dock around 8:15 just in case we don't get much bait until sunrise?

-Ace

ACE... Be sure to give Bigbird your cell number. We will be there on Friday evening and early Sat morning. I have to fix the cast net......OR... Bigbird, bring yours! Boost...

Here's my cell number for everyone going: 540-226-5335

Saturday...

Congrats on the youngster Ace!

Looks like I will have 2 buddies in from out of town. We will most likely get to boat ramp at daylight and then catch bait but I will work on a little bit earlier. How far is everybody traveling to come this weekend?

There have been tons of small shad around but the big ones weren't as plentiful the past couple of trips. I did best with the gill net on the flat right across from the boat ramp. Set net twice at NT Pit and didn't have a single shad, a couple small catfish was all. I caught a few just down from the mouth of the creek to the left of the boat ramp with cast net. The big shad seemed to be a little deeper.

Me cell is 804-212-4662.

Some guys said they wanted to see some pics. Here is link to some of the cat cats my triumph has raised out of the James.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Tight Lines

Shep

cool pics

Alright shep. Iam on a mission to catch one over 40#. I have been stuck with a PB flat and blue at 39.5# long enough.
Man arent those 60s gorgeous.
With pics like that you are giving us high expectations.
Later

:eek:- - - - - - -Those are some HUGE Blue Cats :eek:............ Thanks for the photos, and the sleepless nights that I will expereince until I get there :cool:

Yum

Holy deep fry and release Batman! Those are awesome fish. :DBut I admit I'm a bit jealous because my buddy and I just came in from a beautiful day on the water , skunked. The only bite we got, his line came screaming back and the weight got me in the middle of my back!:p

Alright, I'm super stoked now! Forecast for hopewell:
Friday high 58, low 40
Saturday high 51, low 30

That is perfect cat fishing weather!

Everyone on the catfish forum is saying the shad have been hit or miss. For those of you with throw nets, please bring them. It seems like the guys are catching bait in the deeper holes with throw nets.

Where are the cats located righ now per the reports? Are they East from Deep Bottom, West, or around the landing?????? We will be there Friday looking, and will be able to get everyone on fish if we can find them. Check out some good resturants in the area for Saturday night. After we all get done fishing we can meet up and lie to each other ;) about all the fish caught........ I will have a digital camera for proof. That is if we catch any :confused:

Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready, Are you ready? Hmmmmmmmm????????? I hear that the Blues are great to eat???? Friday night feast :D....

lol.
See y'all tomorrow a.m.
I'll be wearing the same jacket that's in my avatar, so y'all shouldn't have any problem spotting me. Just look for the 5'6" Filipino guy with the bright yellow parka on and is soaked from trying to catch bait. lol
Drive safe everyone! Looking forward to a productive weekend!

-Ace

SWWEEEEET!! Whos got two thumbs and is going Cat Fishin'. THIS GUY!!! We plan on being up there around 0700 - 0730. Big Bird, I've got your phone number and will call when I get up there. I've never been fishing for cat fish, but will try to bring some frozen bait and live eels if I can find them. Spendy little suckers!

Ty

ok guys, I'm hittin the sack. Billy and I are heading out of Spotsylvania at 4 a.m. We should be on the water by 5:30 catching bait. We'll meet everyone back at the deep bottom dock around 8:15. If any of you get there earlier, you'll probably see us from deep bottom. We usually have the most luck catching bait within sight of the ramp.
If you see a dark Green Toyota Tundra in the parking lot, then we're on the water.
Can't wait!
See y'all in the a.m.

-Ace

See you in the morning...

Plan on getting to boat ramp around 6:30am and start soaking the gill net. I'll have Shannon and Craig with me. I'll try to get back to ramp around 8 - 8:15 as well with extra bait hopefully. I'll have on yellow pants and a gray jacket but hopefully you can recognize me by the shad stink coming off of me. See ya'll in the morning.

Shep

Back