Yamaha 90 2 stroke choke

BigBird

Participating Member
City
CHARLOTTE
I have had problems starting my 90 only when cold. I have a different control than whats in my owners manual. I bought boat/motor used so dont have dealer realtionship. I use my fast idle but have porblems starting when cold. I thought pushing in key before starting activated choke.
Help me out-maybe I overlooked something.
I took picture of controls-a bad one at that. Let me know if you need a better picture and I will get son to take the next one!

THanks,
Lindsay

Attachments

• depth finder numbers 011.jpg
    depth finder numbers 011.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 17
You are correct in that pushing in the key while starting should activate the choke. Also, you should be able to push the center of your shifter in to disconnect your shift cable from the throttle lever and advance the throttle to fast Idle. I would check fo loose wires on the choke circuit if you don't think it's choking the engine.

Big Bird,
Are you sqeezing the bulb on the fuel line until it's firm before you try to start your engine? If not, then try that before pushing in the key and starting.
John D.

Choke...

Hi BB,

For my 70 2 stroke Yamaha,

1. Squeeze bulb a few times.
2. Push in the rubber covered gear disconnect and push the throttle up one click (I hear it click on mine) for fast idle.
3. Push in the key while starting the motor (pushing in the key activates the choke).
4. I only push in for a few seconds until I hear the motor try to start.
5. Sometimes, when I have not used the boat in a few weeks, it's a bit fussy.
6. Never run the starter more than 30 seconds at a time, perhaps less. You can cook the starter.
7. Give it a minute break between starts to cool off.
8. Almost forgot, don't forget to put the kill switch lanyard in, otherwise, you will say "D'oh!"

On my Mercury 2 stroke, when I first got my boat I thought the choke wasn't working because it was very hard to start. After a trip to my dealer, I was informed that the motor doesn't have a choke, per say. It has a fuel injector that squirts a little fuel into the carbs when you push in on the key. It takes several pushes (8-10 or so in quick succession) on the key to get enough fuel into the carbs to get the engine to start.

I'm not sure if your Yammi has the same type of set up or not but it may be something to check out.

Good luck.

what i have found out

I meant to get back to ya'll about what I found.
It is diffcult and almost wont start when motor is trimmed up on the transom saver or trimmed up at the ramp. It seems that the bulb pumps up but promptly deflates after turning over the starter when not horizontal. Wont stay primed for a good turn over.
I found out that motor trimmed down -straight down doesnt have that issue. Primer bulb pumps up and stays pumped and starts fairly easy/easier.
I have had no issues ever after the original start.
I start up the boat at home the night before or day of to ensure everything is a "go" I dont want to be an obstruction at the ramp!
Thanks for the help,
Lindsay

Last edited:
Back