Cold weathers operation

icedawg

Registered Member
City
Lake Luzerne
I have a Bf 135 with only 35 hrs. Sunday I went walleye feeshin it was 18 deg out at daybreak. :eek:When I started my motor it started right up but when I released the key it died.I went through this ritual many times till it stayed running. Then I let it warm for 5- 10 minutes prior to us running up the lake. Tonight I pulled out the owners manual and read about the fast idle button. My question is will the fast idle act like a choke to keep the motor running as the owners manual says nothing about a choke. Plan on contacting the dealer this week anyhow but seeing as they are 300 miles south of me and very seldom experience these temps I am looking for opinions of others as the best feeshin is just starting

Choke

Generally,

Pushing the key in while starting chokes the motor. Fast Idle may help to keep the motor running too.

I have had my yamaha 115 fuel injection motor out in that weather many times with no problems. here are some things I would check

not sure what a bf 135 is (I am assuming a mercury big foot 135) but if it is a carbarated engine than you will have to replace the jets in the carbs to get it to run right.

snowmobiles do the same thing when its warm.

if you have fuel injection than make sure you have some kind of fuel attive in the fuel to help the water in the fuel from freezing. with fuel injection the onboard computer should compasate for the air tempature change. make sure you prime the fuel ball before starting.

also when you pull the boat out of the water drop the motor all the way down after the boats out and drain all the water out. this water can freeze and break the seal for the propeller shaft.

hope this helps
HTR

Thanks for the replies guys. I just got off the phone with the mechanic at Hooked on the Bay He said the Honda 135 is fuel injected and has water and air temp sensors to automatically adjust itself. Ie no choke. He wants me to check my primer bulb prior to starting and let the engine go through a couple self checks prior to turning over to start. Next trip is planned in about 2 weeks keep you posted

Back