190 Bay trailer winch mount measurements

bigboy98349

Registered Member
City
Lakebay
I have a 2005 190 Bay and shortly after I purchased it I received revised winch mounting measurements. Of course they were promptly misplaced. After much fiddling I am not happy with my present setup. Anyone out there have an idea what the correct height of the winch and position on tongue should be?

On the trailer for my 195CC, I have moved the mount a time or two. The dealer from whom I bought it had moved it way back, because he had moved the boat way back on the trailer to take weight off the tongue (700+ lbs before that) for my haul from NC to TX. However, that was the wrong solution for adjusting tongue weight, since the stern was off the bunks by about 6 inches, so when I got home, I moved the winch stand as far forward as possible and winched the boat back up on the trailer, then put the winch stand back to where it fit well with the position of the boat, and then moved the axles 7-8" forward to adjust the tongue weight. I fiddled with the winch height and position for awhile till it seemed right (as compared to the bow eye, etc) I never had any measurements for it.

Thanks, I'll keep working with the problem. It's the last 4 to 6 inches of travel when loading that are the issue. I think the winch needs to be down and back just about that much.

As long as your transom is fully supported on the bunks, you're good. But do NOT leave the transom hanging off the back of the bunks. Doing that will eventually lead to the formation of a "hook" in the bottom of the hull just ahead of the transom, and will affect the handling of the boat. When my boat is fully forward, against the forward roller on the winch stand, there is about two inches of bunk protruding beyond the stern.

Last edited:
:mad:Yes I agree with the above:

1. Transom needs to be on the bunks

2. The bow needs to be above the roller when winching on a steep ramp.

But I have to winch in two steps. :mad:

step 1. with trailer backed in until water is at top of fenders, winch the boat on the trailer until blocked by bow roller.:mad:

step 2. pull forward a few feet so the angle of the boat raises enough to get the bow above the bow roller
and winch the last 1 ft.
[pulling trailer forward reduces buoyancy in rear causing bow to raise]
:mad: [winching last foot practically rips the bow eye out of the hull] :mad:

I have been thinking about moving the winch back and down a few inches.

:confused:Will I be able to winch the boat on the trailer in one step?:confused:
=======================================

Last edited:
I occasionally have to winch in two steps, but not usually. When I do, I don't do the final couple inches until the trailer is completely off the ramp and level. On wet bunks, the boat is not at all hard to winch when you don't have to fight gravity.

I finally got a chance to get a close look at the bunks and the winching problem.

I took a look at the bunk schematic, and noticed a bow support V at the front of the boat. My trailer does not have this. I think if I add this support it will keep the bow high enough to clear the roller when winching on to the trailer.

Also I have a question about the transom support. In the picture you can see the bunks are forward of the transom. Does this look normal? It looks like the boat needs to go forward a few more inches.

190-bunks-rear-jpg.9150

Attachments

• 190 bunks rear.jpg
    190 bunks rear.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as long as you're running upside down like that, there's no problem. But yeah, the minute you start towing right side up, you need to move the boat forward so that the bunks extend at least to the rear edge of the transom. Extending the bunks beyond the transom an inch or so is even better

:mad:Yes I agree with the above:

2. The bow needs to be above the roller when winching on a steep ramp.

But I have to winch in two steps. :mad:

:mad:

step 2. pull forward a few feet so the angle of the boat raises enough to get the bow above the bow roller
and winch the last 1 ft.
[pulling trailer forward reduces buoyancy in rear causing bow to raise]

:mad: [winching last foot practically rips the bow eye out of the hull] :mad:

I have been thinking about moving the winch back and down a few inches.

:confused:Will I be able to winch the boat on the trailer in one step?:confused:
=======================================

Forget the winching in one step. As you stated above, the angle of the boat changes from in the water to up on level ground. The two step process places less stress on the bunks, the hull and the boat's bow eye.
To help make it easier when winching on level ground, you might want to try is to raise your winch a bit above the bow eye so the winch is slightly lifting the boat as it pulls it forward.
And most important, as Harper says......get the bunks all the way to the Transom. :)

Also, a souple of tips I use with mine....

I squirt some liquid soap on the bunks just before I load the boat. Makes it slide much easier when winching.

And when launching, I back the boat down till the stern is over the water and then unlatch the winch strap. Back the rest of the way in an tap the brakes and the boat slides right off with no effort. (Just remember....never disconnect the winch until the boat is over water. ) ;)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back