20 hour service on new engines

W

wjzink

Anyone know in general what the window is for manufacturer suggested 20 hour service? I have a new Honda 90 4S with 18 hours on it and am debating whether I can get one more fishing trip in before service. That would put me over 20 hours for sure, but I don't want to mess up the warranty.:confused:

What does your owners manual say is required at 20 hours? If just a LOF I would say you are fine if it goes over a hour or so and just make sure you check the oil level first before going.

It is not like the engine it has a warranty ticking time bomb installed that is going to blow up at the 20 hour mark :p. I would though call your dealer and set your first service appointment now, since many of them get very busy this time of the year :)

The only thing you really have to do on the 20 hour is change the oil and filter and the lower gearcase lube. They preload the engine with a heavy weight oil, so you will notice a difference in RPMs when you change it to the recommended 10w-30. The rest is really just a look over making sure everything is tight. Though I believe they do say to check the valve clearences I believe on your engine (90 hp), on my 150Hp I dont have to do that until 200 hours.

You can find a copy of your manual here http://www.honda-marine.com/owners/OwnerManuals.aspx

As for going over in hours, I doubt seriously if you would hurt the engine by going to 25-30.

Back