Honda BF130 general maintenance, gauges, battery, etc.

djnolan

Contributing Member
City
Herndon
Can anyone offer advice on the maintenance routine for a Honda BF130? The engine is a 2002 model and I have owned it for one season. Accordingly it was all checked out by the dealer before being sold and I have only put 50-100 hours on it. I haven't had any maintenance done yet and wonder what to watch out for on a motor of this age. It runs great and starts right up so I suspect it has fairly low hours.

Is there a recommended schedule for lubes and filters? Another concern is if there are cooling system related items to look out for such as impellers or thermostats for a motor of this age.

Also would like to add some digital gauges or instrumentation to better monitor operating conditions, but I have read pre-2006 Honda models don't support the digital harness and gauges. Has anyone found a way to do this? I suppose if the idiot lights are off everything is good with oil pressure, temps, and electrics?

Also is it ok to run a deep cycle battery for the starting battery? I have heard this can damage alternators on some models.

Thanks!

I would start with replacing the water pump impeller. Also replace the timing and alternator belts on top. the filter in the fuel pump. I also attempted to upgrade to the newer digital gauges with gph etc. and found out they are not compatable.

Hey! That motor is likely still in warranty from a 10 year recall. I would call Honda and give them the serial number to have it checked. The long and short was that motor is a GREAT motor but certain serial numbers had casting issues with cracked heads. A little later it had a different service bulletin with another casting issue causing cracked blocks. There is a specific place it happens so Honda will pay to have it checked and if they have any signs of cracks they will replace the power head free of charge if it is still in the 10 year time frame.

You are right on the border of that warranty expiring so I would run to my nearest dealer ASAP to have it checked. I have a 210cc and a 190 bay. I put a 130 on it and just to have a like new engine since it needed a lower unit anyway I had them put a brand new lower unit on it. Cost me a few dollars but worth it to avoid any hassles. I found a 190 bay that needed a motor as the other one had been stolen off it and the deal was right. I had some delay but just got everything I needed in from Merritt to complete the boat. I would love to have the digital guages on it but Honda said as you found out they didnt make them. I was searching just last night for an after market guage from a place like Faria or Teleflex to see if they made something that fit. I planned on calling them this week. If I find a solution I will post back. If you come across something please keep me posted.

Update:

I called around today and digital guages are a no go on the Honda 130 even in aftermarket according to several dealers I talked to. Apparently from what I can there is a digital software protocol that has to be built in to the unit that it puts out to register those to the digital guages. I still have one call to make to Faria guages but I expect the same answer.

What has me a little confused is I saw Honda digital guages some place that seemed to work with the later model 130's right before the 130 was discontinued. My limited understanding is that the 130's main block (powerhead) was all the same. I wonder if you found a late model 130 someone is parting out and took the computer and electronics off and put them on your 130 of it would then allow you to use the digital guages. If someone knows please let us know as they part out 130's on ebay and other marine shops from time to time.

Back