2002 170 DC Trailer Bunks - what length are yours?

'02 Triumph 170 DC

Registered Member
State
FL
The trailer that came with my boat (2002 170 DC) when I bought it from my neighbor is a 2003 EZ Loader with the Triumph decal on it and the frame snapped from rust. So, I bought another EZ Loader trailer, a bit longer and much sturdier, but it has rollers instead of bunks. So I removed the hardware from the old trailer and the roller setup from the new one. Then I looked at the 170 trailer schematics found in the resources section and saw that it shows the bunks as two 12' and two 8'. But my old trailer has two 10' and two 7' bunks. Those of you with 170's, what year is your boat and what length are your trailer bunks?

TL;DR: what length are your trailer bunks for your 17' Triumphs and what year is your boat?

Just makes sure they go flush with, or past the stern some so you have proper support.

More targeted information can be found here:
https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/boat-trailers-docks-lifts-towing-discussions.25/

Best,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Wondering if yiu have any guidance, I could not find anything in my search of the forum and thread you shared to this issue im running into. I am flowing the 170 schematic, but the image has all three section as straight across, but my trailer has a V-shape to section A-A and B-B, C-C is straight however. So figured showing A-A and B-B as straight was just for simplicity and raised the bunk brackets 4" for the inner brackets and 6.5" for the outter ones from the actual trailer (V-shape) and 5" as called for for section C-C. It doesn't work. When I place my 12' bunk from section A-A over B-B to C-C, it does not come close to touch B-B. Is the schematic actually for trailers with a V-shap in sections A-A and B-B or is that height to be if I assumed there was no V-shape and measure as if it was straight. Any help from anyone would be great, otherwise I'm just going to have wing it :)

Please note in the images I have the bunks parallel just for marking the bolt holes, they will certainly be tilted properly when all done.

Attachments

• 20220929_184801.jpg
    20220929_184801.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220929_184739.jpg
    20220929_184739.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 5
Good evening and dealing with the effects of the Hurricane Ian naturally so, let's say my brain is not firing on all cylinders ;)

Be that as it may, bunks should be set up at the correct angles to match the contours of the hull be them straight (flat) to match say a Skiff type of hull. This or tilted to match the V angle configuration. I simply do not remember what is the dead rise of those hulls maybe, but starting out at say 12 degrees should give you a good / rough starting point.

Easy enough after the boat is back on them, to loosen them up to help then match that section of the hull and naturally over time, the wood will warp some due to becoming wet and having weight on them.

Also you simply cannot go wrong having more bunks spread across the bottom than just two. And though for a 210, these shots should help you picture that concept

full

full

full

Hope those help!

Thank you for your time. I guess my concern is not the angle of the bunks but that the specs show flat crossbars where my trailer have v-shaped ones, so I was wondering if that resulted in the issue I am having with the bunk not touching the B-B section. Attached is a poor attempt I made at a visual representation of my issue, question. I think I am concluding that I gotba trailer where the V is just too deep to work with this diagram, so I'll just have to wing it to make it work :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930_072537_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220930_072537_Drive.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 6
Back