2005 Chaos in its slip

Upgrade it with one of these (and this one should be smaller than the original) and you will love it, and the handling even more :cool: it gets the speed knob "inside" the ring, which could be easier on some body parts when they get smacked :oops: :)

https://smile.amazon.com/HYDDNice-Stainless-Steering-Turning-Teleflex/dp/B07VDQ1NJS/ref=sr_1_62?dchild=1&keywords=steering+wheel+for+boats&qid=1625014497&sr=8-62

And that one should have a tilt helm if not, see this simple upgrade to change it's angle of attack discussed near the bottom of that page:

https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/best-of-the-best-210-215-upgrade-ideas.9102/page-2#post-54819

Tight Lines!
Dave

Wow, thanks for that tip, I'm going to do that. I do have tilt steering, why not just go down to the 13 1/2" wheel?

Tilt is the only way to fly for sure!

Very possible that is what that one was in size a 13 1/2 unit, I just cannot find that exact one on Amazon as of yet... And that one on the 190 was the best of all that I had tried due to it's size and shape. Was not all that expensive either when I picked it up back in 2005.

Will keep digging and just need to find the name of it denoted on one of my past pictures and will be in business IF they still are these days? ;)

That one should work, but it was a different brand and had wider spokes that were also deeper and moved the speed knob further inside. It also did not cost that much ;)

1625059697992.png

Better link:

Nice wheel, I guess I'll have to check the shaft diameter too. There's a lot of wheels available. Was there a depth that you paid attention too?

From the outer ring to the center nut, the deeper one with the wider spokes for some reason, just felt better and helped me spin her about. Which when carving up shallow mangrove creeks like this:

Or getting her back on a trailer was just so much easier and faster ;)

She brings back memories! :cool:

I keep my spare PFDs in a T-Bag just like yours. Mine is fitted much tighter to the top by the use of a few black plastic zip ties. I found out early in the life of the boat that to keep the spares dry and mostly mildew free they could not be kept in any of the built in compartments.

Ok, I recently purchased a 13.5" steering wheel to replace the battleship wheel but boy I can't get the old steering wheel off.

I tried the tapping it with a hammer trip....it's not rusted or corroded it just won't budge.

Any advise? I don't want to damage the helm.

Spray some Power Blast on it and let it set overnight... Then (if needed) the gentle use of a small gear puller, this while tapping with a rubber mallet should break it free.

Spray some Power Blast on it and let it set overnight... Then (if needed) the gentle use of a small gear puller, this while tapping with a rubber mallet should break it free.
I've tried that a couple times, no luck. Is there anything holding the old wheel on other the obvious lock nut?

I have to try the gear puller, haven't done that yet.

Back