2007 Hatteras Catalina Classic Marlin tourny

tylerderdan

Participating Member
Well even though I did not fish this event on my triumph I figured I would share a little bit about this last tourney I just fished. The Catalina classic is the final event of a four tourney series all based out of Avalon on Catalina island here in California.

The Classic this year had over 80 teams from all over, some are amatuer and others are names such as Gambler, Chiquelin and Bad Company just to name a few are obviuosly pro's. The competition is really tough. The fishing for the two day event was slow. We had very few hook ups through out the entire fleet and only two fish the fish two days made the minimum weight. Those fish were then disqualified for other reasons.

With no qualifying fish, the tourney goes to an extended day. This means all the daily jackpots and everything is still up for grabs. Two fish came to the scales that day. A 174lb. Stripped marlin from team chaser would get them the early lead. Later in the afternon team Good Karma hooked and landed what would become the new leader and winner of the tourney. A 204lb. stripped marlin. For their work, team good karma picked up a check for $383,000. Yes you read that right.

It was a little disappointing in that we were fishing within a few a miles of team good karma when got their fish. Overall though it was a great event, and a lot of fun. After spending 5 straight days on the water I am ready for little break.

Back