2008Honda 150 Vtech Fresh Water Flush

switthaus

Registered Member
State
Virginia
Hey all -
I just picked up a 2008 21 CC Tournament Edition with a Honda 150 Vtech engine. The boat and engine only had 49 hours on it, and while that might sound good for some, an idle boat presents it's own issues.

The last issue I have is with the fresh water cleaning valve (when flushing the motor when off via the garden hose adapter). Is there a certain PSI that opens this valve? I cannot get fresh water to run back through it and I read on iBoats that a 30-40 PSI is needed. Or should I just pull the boat and get that valve replaced?

Any and all advice much appreciated.

sw

Sweet Engine and racked up many hours on one myself... Tell where you are not seeing water running out when on the Flush Port?

If just the little pee hole, they get plugged very easy, and a small wooden skewer gently pushed back into the port a few inches will usually open it right back up. Seems sand and small shell material will plug it up in nothing flat and I (even though I had a WP Gauge) would carry that same small stick to reach down and unplug it after running over a Flat from time to time just to make sure it working as designed.

I also do not recommend running the engine while on the flush port, since the pump impeller is not getting much water. Much better to just use standard muffs on the lower unit "if" you want to run the engine. The Flush port is great to use when the boat is on a lift after a saltwater run where you cannot access the lower unit like you can when on a trailer.

Hope this helps?

Sweet Engine and racked up many hours on one myself... Tell where you are not seeing water running out when on the Flush Port?

If just the little pee hole, they get plugged very easy, and a small wooden skewer gently pushed back into the port a few inches will usually open it right back up. Seems sand and small shell material will plug it up in nothing flat and I (even though I had a WP Gauge) would carry that same small stick to reach down and unplug it after running over a Flat from time to time just to make sure it working as designed.

I also do not recommend running the engine while on the flush port, since the pump impeller is not getting much water. Much better to just use standard muffs on the lower unit "if" you want to run the engine. The Flush port is great to use when the boat is on a lift after a saltwater run where you cannot access the lower unit like you can when on a trailer.

Hope this helps?

It does help.
I think when you use the flush port (no engine running) it is supposed to drain via the exhaust, however mine will not. Using the muffs is an option, but since the boat is on a lift between runs, it's a pain as I have to either get in the water or kayak around. I was just wondering if water pressure on the garden hose is an issue with that valve not opening (to let the flush-port water go "the other way") or is the valve no good and need replacing. Thanks again.

Possible low water pressure, but even mine poured out all over the lower unit (including the prop hub) when water was supplied.
Mine though had a BMS low water pick up (water was forced into the engine via the front of the nose cone) so I could run as skinny as possible when I had her lifted on the jack plate. As such, my non-stock lower unit may have reacted different even when on the flush port...

Call the local Honda Dealer or Tech Support for Honda Marine located here https://marine.honda.com/company/contact-us and ask them where water should be draining when on the muffs and flush port.

Best,
Dave

Last edited:
Saw it yesterday when shopping... (more like getting dragged around on a short chain )... with her Highness. What I used and kept in the boats glove box to help keep the pee port open, was a bamboo skewer that you can find at more food stores. I saw them at Publix which reminded me what I had used in the past ;)

Saw it yesterday when shopping... (more like getting dragged around on a short chain )... with her Highness. What I used and kept in the boats glove box to help keep the pee port open, was a bamboo skewer that you can find at more food stores. I saw them at Publix which reminded me what I had used in the past ;)
For the pee port, I've used the long end of a small allen wrench- the end is blunt so it won't puncture the hose, and it's strong and won't break off. After it got clogged a few times, I asked a seasoned boater buddy about it, and he said it was mud daubers nesting in there; so now in between uses I take a piece of blue masking tape and keep that hole covered. Since I started doing the tape, no clogs.

For the pee port, I've used the long end of a small allen wrench- the end is blunt so it won't puncture the hose, and it's strong and won't break off. After it got clogged a few times, I asked a seasoned boater buddy about it, and he said it was mud daubers nesting in there; so now in between uses I take a piece of blue masking tape and keep that hole covered. Since I started doing the tape, no clogs.

The "pee-hole" flows fine when I use the muffs and run the engine. It does not run at all when I use the hose attachment to the side of the engine, which makes me think that fresh water flush valve (which I believe opens to let water flow from the hose attachment) is either stuck or I don't have enough pressure to push it open. No water flows through anywhere when the garden hose is attached.

Back