A new convert...

Lucky

Registered Member
City
Great Falls
Hi, all.

New owner of a used 170 Fish, here. It's a 2003 model year, first sold in early 2004. It has a 60hp Yamaha 4-stroke on the back. The boat has about 20 hours total on it and is in near perfect condition. Same goes for the trailer, almost looks like it has never been in the water.

I've had boats made of many materials over the years... wood, fiberglass, aluminum, and inflated vinyl (RIBs). Now I can add plastic to the mix.

This plastic fantastic is going to serve several duties, but will primarily be a family runabout for tubing and fishing. It will also be a "learner" boat for my 13 and 10 year old kids. They've handled many boats, but not on their own. This one, after some training and supervision, will be one they can easily handle on their own and since it is ropolene, I won't have to worry about fiberglass and gelcoat repairs from the bumps and bruises my kids will inflict on this boat.

I plan to do basic engine maintenance this weekend and take her out for a shakedown run next weekend. Given her condition, I'm not expecting to find anything that needs fixing, but you never know.

Anyway, great forum y'all have here. I've already learned a lot from just browsing around and hope to contribute what I can in the future.

-- John

Welcome aboard John! Great perspective on training the kids on a Triumph. It should take some of the anxiety away. :)

Welcome aboard. My plastic boat has helped me learn, my kids learn, and my wife learn (in that order).

It's always fun to watch people's expression when I don't get panicked about whacking into the wooden tie up areas after launch. I mean my kids really punished the boat and dock, with no damage to either.

:D

my wife wants to learn how to put our boat in and out of the water so she could be more help when we are putting the boat in than just holding the bow rope. i love my wife and i love my boat so holding the bow rope is good enough for now.....

You named some of the reason's we purchased a Triumph.

We have NOT had the Admiral do too much. The Admiral is there to enjoy, not work.

Both my son and I have hit docks way to hard. On his last break from college we practiced docking as slow as possible. Our son ended up liking this approach a lot better, and our guests will like it better also. Our guests, like many, sometimes want to put themselves in harms way to save the boat from damage. Very slow no hard bump docking helps solve that problem. Now I tell our guests in advance that I am practicing at how slowly we can dock the boat. That seems to help keep them from getting into harms way.

Welcome aboard Lucky. Get out there and catch some Rockfish. I have a used 2005 170cc that I just got last month. I hope some day to teach my two grandsons to learn on it. Being plastic I feel it will be around when they are ready, they are only 2 and 5 years old now.

Jim

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm really looking forward to using this boat... and by that I mean not worrying about hitting docks a bit harder than planned and also not having to ever wax it. I have a feeling I'm going to love this little boat once I get some hours on her.

OspreyVic, you have a nice fishing rig there and a live in a beautiful area. My mom lives down your way in a development called South Bay. Whenever I visit her, I wish I had a boat with me to fish the intracoastal, the Venice inlet, and the gulf. Maybe I'll drag my boat down there the next time I come to visit.

Tight lines!

Lucky, on your next trip to Florida, please keep us in mind and give us a call. You and family are welcome to come see our 210CC and the modifications we have made, just in case you decide to move up in size.

We can't be more than 5 minutes from where your mom lives.

Lucky, on your next trip to Florida, please keep us in mind and give us a call. You and family are welcome to come see our 210CC and the modifications we have made, just in case you decide to move up in size.

We can't be more than 5 minutes from where your mom lives.

Thanks for the offer... I'll take you up on it next time I'm down there. I've quickly become a Triumph fan and see an upgrade to a bigger and better one in a few years, so it would be great to learn from your experience.

Thanks, again.

-- JB

Back