Any opinions on E-tech engines?

ejbpesca

Participating Member
City
Spanish Fort
I guess we all know by now the 4 stroke engines get high praise by many, but what about the E Tech two strokes? I have seen where they can cost even more than a 4 stroke.

I get the part about the E-tech low emissions but what about ease of starting and quietness of running? Do they even compare with a four stroke? How about fuel consumption? I find the 4-strokes hard to beat but now I'm hearing the E-tech is a whole different age of two stroke. Any body have experience with one and can tell me how it compares to the popular 4 strokes?

thanks,
jb

My service guy (for my 4 stroke Suz) also does those and he didn't have a lot good to say about them. The 3 yrs no service is basically a joke.

I have a 2008 115 hp and I love it. It's a lot quieter and I have plenty of power. Service cost is great. It starts fast every time. I have 2nd boat with a Yammy 150 and I'd take the E-tech over it every time. My son in law has a Grady white 20 ft with a 150 merc and I'm faster out of the hole and our top end is the same

Over the years I went from small Johnson, Merc & Tohatsu 2 strokes to a Mid hp Honda & Suzuki four strokes and then a 60hp Etec.

My 1963 Johnson Seahorse 6hp was my best engine ... until the Etec.

I now have a 175hp Etec comming up 4 years and it's been fabulous too!

My 2008 Evinrude 150 ETEC starts today as easily as the day I brought it home. I am still awed by the power it generates out of the hole. At slow troll you'd have to shove your nose under the cowling to smell any exhaust. Glad I picked it.

Up til 2004 I have used the old 2 stroke outboards. From 2004 to 2011 I used a 40hp Honda 4 stroke. Almost for the past year I researched outboards and decided to go with a E-tec (60hp). I used the Honda for 8 years and cant say anything bad about it. i would suggest either the Honda or E-tec. I've had the E-tec for a few months now and love it. This is how it compares to the Honda:

The E-tec is slightly louder, but is very quiet when compared to the older 2 stroke motors.
4-strokes get much better fuel economy over the older 2 strokes, but the E-tec gets the same and even better mileage at lower speeds. The E-tec is much easier to have serviced and has nearly 200 less parts than a 4-stroke. It would take my Honda 5 to 10 seconds to start when cold, the etec starts instantly. You also have instant power with the e-tec. I loved my Honda, but I'm glad I went with the E-tec. Also, the E-tec is made in the USA. You can't go wrong with either motor. There are lover and haters for every outboard manufacturer. Having had both motors, I do like the E-tec better.

Back