backward battery

Lou

Registered Member
City
Livonia
I took my battery out for winter then realized the motor wasn't vertical so I put the battery back in to lower the motor. Stupidly, I put it in backward. :mad: I heard a humming sound, then realized my mistake and put it in right. But now I've got problems. The motor tilt doesn't work at all and 0 volts are showing on the dash. Strangely, the bilge pump still works.

Where do I begin to try and fix this?

I've got a 2004 F&S with a 115 Yamaha four stroke.

Sounds like a breaker or fuse.

Reactions: Lou
As J50 stated, check all fuses and breakers first. Yamaha also has a fuse in the engine compartment (should be an inline fuse). Don't know the 115 to well, so check with a mechanic. Keep us updated.

I'm not familiar with the inline fuses and how they work. Before I break one:
- Do they twist apart?
- Do they pull apart without twisting?
- Should I be able to tell their condition without taking them apart?

I'm not familiar with the inline fuses and how they work. Before I break one:
- Do they twist apart?
- Do they pull apart without twisting?
- Should I be able to tell their condition without taking them apart?

-Yes, just push in slightly from both sides while twisting some and it should come right apart.
-Possible I guess, but I cannot recall ever seeing any of that type.
-Maybe, but much easier to see if the fuse is burnt through once you take it apart ;)

Thanks again.

The reason I asked about being able to judge the condition of the fuse without removing it from the container is that the fuse holders are transparent. Or at least they once were. Now they're mostly foggy and dirty.

Dirt can cause problems...

Hi Lou,

Dirt and corrosion can cause poor contact between the fuse holder and fuse.

As PS stated, some fuse holders unscrew, some have to be pushed in a bit and then unscrew, some just pull apart.

My 70hp 2 stroke Yamaha has one inline fuse in a holder that pulls apart, however, I don't know what type of fuse holder your engine has.

You may consider purchasing a repair manual. They are worth their weight in gold.

I found a fuse that was burned out in the fuse box on the engine. I replaced it and my tilt motor started working again. I never did find the inline fuses shown on the electrical diagram leading to the tilt motor.

Well at least it's fixed

Hi Lou,

Glad you found and repaired the problem.:)

Back