Boat lifting

S

snotty girl

I am considering buying a 2006 21' boat. I have been trying to learn as much as possible about the boat. Can anyone tell me of the downside of buying this boat (if there are any). I recently read somewhere the these boats can not be lifted by conventional straps used in a travel lift, too much flex in the hull. Is this true?

thanks

Snotty Girl, I would contact Triumph.

They can send you the trailer specifications - bunk length, bunk width, etc. Then you can follow their specs and build your travel lift / hoist to match.

As with many things in life – there is good and bad. The flexing makes for a much nicer rider, especially if your knees and back do not like the jarring you would get on the same size glass boat.

That flexing that most of us likes and appreciates means that the boat needs be supported correctly to avoid potential problems. Triumph gave me the specks so I could have a trailer made for my 210 CC.

You can do a SEARCH on "Boat Lift" at the top of the "Forum" page. That might give you more information.

Good luck with your quest. You might also read the "Articles" section of this web site.

More detail

I was not talking about using a backyard lift, what I should have stated I was looking for information about using a standard travel lift/straps used in most boat yards to launch in most cases larger boats (i know a 50 ton lift is a little overkill for a 21' boat). Because I am good a good friend of the marina owner/operator I have access to the lift at very little cost, just makes it easier thoughout the season to haul and clean on a regular basis. But it sounds like triumph boats do not behave in the same manner as fiberglass hulls. Probably not a problem, just need to know in case a short haul is required.

If you're just talking about lifting the boat off the rack with a sling or fork to get the boat wet and back again - no problem. Any 'flex' would occur over longer periods of time (like a week or more) when the hull is not 'properly' supported. These boats aren't made of jelly.

totally agree with Cincinnati, should not be any problem to launch with lift, it is storage over long periods where problems will occur. in fact my 2001 logic 210 was stored on an improper trailer for several winters. I corrected this immediately when I purchased 2 years ago and the hull is fine. the roplene has excellent memory and generally will return to normal shape rather quickly.

no problem

Just to add to the other posts, I use a hoist lift to launch my boat all the time and there is no short or long term flex problem, the boat (190bay) handles it like a champ

i also use a lift at times to launch my 215 no problems have been encountered yet....

I lift my Logic 17 with electric davits and store it on awood cradle that is designed like the boats trailer. The dealer told me to lift it by the cleats. After 3 yrs. a rear cleat ripped out,and the boat dropped(no damage). Idrilled holes and mounted 6inch s/s u-bolts w/ a backing plate on the outside of the hull.where the old rear cleats were. In front I use a 2 hook harness attached to the bow eye. TThree more years w/out trouble. PIRATE PETE

snotty girl, I used a standard two sling lift to haul my boat (2006 215) out for bottom painting. My boat was set on two keel blocks and two jacks used on each side as any other boat would have been set up for bottom paint. It was out of the water for two days and there was ZERO deflection while sitting on the jacks and blocks even in the 100 degree California weather. I have a 175 Suzuki on the stern as well. No problem!

In fact my boat floats so high in the stern that when hosing down, both people have to stand in the back to get the water to run to the scuppers!

The boats are MUCH more rigid than some people make them out to be.

Wow, I never thought that there were so many areas out there that use lifts for launching. I have only known one place. That is where I grew up. IN DEPOE BAY OREGON. Worlds smallest harbor. There is no boat ramp. So all boats are lifted into the bay. P.S> If by chance you are in the Depoe bay area and decide to launch your boat. TAKE time to read the swells and tides. This bay is ALSO the most dangerous to get into and exit. They have videos of how dangerous it is, and how you need EXPERIENCE to navigate it.

Genelie, Depot now has a very nice boat ramp. Has had in fact for over ten years. Still have to mind the P's & Q's though going out and in the opening. Great place to boat from. It is a favorite with the tuna fishermen right now.

codfish

Genelie, Depot now has a very nice boat ramp. Has had in fact for over ten years. Still have to mind the P's & Q's though going out and in the opening. Great place to boat from. It is a favorite with the tuna fishermen right now.

codfish
well slap me silly and call me stuuuuuuupid:D figures, I was just there in JUNE and did not even see it. I tell you that whole 20 mile coatal area has grown so much in the last 10 - 20 years.

120 CC on Davits

I recently purchased a 2003 120CC. I plan to use it as a dingy for my houseboat on the Mississippi river. Rather than drag the 120 behind me I'd like to consider installing davits on my houseboat. Has this been done with any degree of success?
Thank you from a Newbie in Minnesota.
MNCondoGuy

Is it best to lift by the front & back trailer rings rather than the cleats?

-Mdnightrdr

I lift my Logic 17 with electric davits and store it on awood cradle that is designed like the boats trailer. The dealer told me to lift it by the cleats. After 3 yrs. a rear cleat ripped out,and the boat dropped(no damage). Idrilled holes and mounted 6inch s/s u-bolts w/ a backing plate on the outside of the hull.where the old rear cleats were. In front I use a 2 hook harness attached to the bow eye. TThree more years w/out trouble. PIRATE PETE

So it is more advisable to lift the boat by the bow and starboard eyes rather than the cleats?
-Mdnightrdr

You're trying to revive a 10 year old thread. ;)
But to answer your question. Never lift from the cleats. Ever. If you have a eye on the bow deck that is tied into the trailer winch bow eye, then use that one. Otherwise use the trailer winch eye or install the "bow deck eye". If you don't have any transom lifting eyes, then put a pair in for lifting. :) I will try to post a pic showing the bow deck tie in system.

I do not know what starboard eyes you are referring to. (starboard is the "right" side of the boat)

bow-eye-assembly.gif

Hauling will not need much hassle as whenever i buy boat i use boat shipping service across my state (maine). Generally choose from either uship or Citizenshipper.
You can tow yourself but before purchasing a tow vehicle you need to check its specifications and make sure the manufacturer's rated tow capacity is up to the task at hand.

Back