C-Map vs. Navionics vs. Blue charts

Ewags1

Registered Member
City
Ellsworth
Hi fellow owners,
I currently have been using C-Map Max charts and need a new chartplotter combo. I have never used any other charts. I would like input on how Navionics and Garmin Blue Charts compare. Do you like them, have you used any other and how did they compare? How easy are they to use? Basically are they all the same? Any info would very helpful.
Thank You
E.Wags

I can only speak of BlueCharts as all my gps's are Garmin. Most of their new gps have nationwide maps loaded. I keep my numbers on my laptop and update and download easily.

I picked Garmin due to the waterproofness and durability of their units.

Have never had one fail since 2002.

Molar

I also have a garmin {498} preloaded. Living on the coast it's great. The only draw back i have found is the maps for inland lakes for the north east are lacking. As for ease of use and quality it is great. Some of my friends have others and swear by them. I think as long as you stick with the top 3 you can't go wrong. Just check which company has the best charts for the area you fish. good luck, Bob

Molar and Bob,
Thanks for the imput. I really like the idea of preloaded charts they didn't have that when I bought my last CP unit. I do most of my boating in the Penobscot and Frenchman Bay area with the occasional trip to the Kennebec river to fish stripers. Bob, do you know if the Garmin chart go up river to say Augusta? How do you like the fish finder on the unit?
Thanks
E.Wags

Garmin Kennebec Charts

Garmin's web site shows the G2 chart for the Kennebec River is based on government paper charts extending all the way to Augusta. The accompanying map of the coverage area would seem to confirm that extending well above Merrymeeting Bay.

I'm counting on that being the case since our boat will be slipped in Richmond and I'll be putting a Garmin on it soon. If you get up this way give a shout!
icon12.gif

Dick

Hi Ewags and Mainah, the preloaded map only goes 6 miles inland, so when you pass through Merry Metting Bay you loose it just when you get back into the Kennebec. After that you can follow the cans all the way. What I did the first time was follow a bigger boat which created a cookie crumb that I followed home in the dark. The fish finder on the unit works great, I have the duel transducer. The only thing I had to do to it was tighten it once. Mainah I haven't see the Coast Gaurd putting out any cans yet, when I do I'll drop you a line.I did call Garmin to see what lakes were on the inland lakes map and only Sebago was. He didn't think any of the rivers were except for the 6 miles in. I'm talking with a guy out of Canada who might have a system to load other brands of maps onto a blank garmin chip and I should know first hand in a few weeks. Good luck, Bob.

Wow, that's a bummer 'cause it's not what they're advertising. Would be nice to have the full chart for night passage. And what's with the lack of Maine lakes data? Perhaps another another vendor??

I'm right on the river just south of Gardiner. The Coastie's remove the buoys above the Gardiner bridge in late fall. Red nun 36, which should be between Goodwin Pt. and Sands Island just south of me is now resting on the south side of the Richmond bridge about 8 miles away. They do have a bit of work to do.
icon6.gif

Dick

Hey , I have a Garmin and a Lowrance chart plotter. The garmin can only use garmin charts . I put a navionics chip in the lowrance and the detail in the bay and rivers is great. The lowrance lake maps cover most of the lakes in the U.S. and you can make your own maps with the lowrance. I have a lot of $ in the garmin so I will keep it till it dies And Lowrance/eagle has the best sounder on the market hands down.

Thank you everyone for the input. I just sold my Standard Horizon black box fishfinder on eBay so it is definitely time for something new.:D I was hoping that the Garmin map would go more than 6 miles inland. With the C-Map I have been using I can go all the way up the Penobscot to the dam in Bangor and it goes up the Kennebec past the bridge in Augusta. I am looking at the Lowrance and Garmin units. I have friends in a local bass club that use Navionics lake maps because they do offer some of the lakes in Maine and it has been adding new lakes every year. I really want something with a screen around 7 to 8" in size, so when I use it in split mode you can see both really well. That was the 1 thing I really like with the Cp1000C, 10.4" screen, but I figure seeing my gauges is fairly important.:rolleyes:
Please keep coming with info, the more the better!!

Tight Lines
E.Wags

Garmin Charts

Thanks Molar,

It would be interesting to see if the Garmin updates include the Kennebec River above Merrymeeting Bay. Not a lot of room on the console of the 186 so Garmin was my first choice for a plotter/FF combo but without coverage to my slip it would be useless in unexpected inclement weather up here.

On their return to breaking the ice up here 1999 the captain of the USCG Thunder Bay said his charts had last been updated in 1965. Wonder if they're on the Garmin e-mail list?:rolleyes:

Dick

Hi MolarBoater, which unit do you have and is it preloaded? Also who did you talk to at garmin about the free cd rom, I'm very intrested. I keep getting the same guy who either dosn't know or is not very motivated. Thanks, Bob

I have a 3206 XMWX Weather network, a 168 Sounder and a Legend. Go to Garmin's website and sign up on their email/owners update list and they will notify you whenever a software update is available for your unit or charts. They are constantly updating and adding more detail and it has all been free so far.
Go to www.garmin. com and you should be able to find most info you want.

Back