Catalina Island 4/28-29

They're bitting

Registered Member
City
Cypress
Well we have been out looking for the very elussive white seabass alot latley.Countless overnighters and a few 2 day trips.Finally this last Friday night Taylor(It'll Do) goes out with a friend of ours(I was'nt able to go)after doing a few trips a week, and he gets a nice one

admin.php

Needless to say as soon as he got back and I heard the news, I told him to get some sleep 'cause we're going back in 12 hours.So we're off once again, now to try and get the monkey off my back with my frst seabass of the season.We arrive at the island and set up at te east end, and within 2 hours I am hooked up and it feels like the right kind, and what do you know, it was....

admin.php

Ahhhhhh what a relief that was, all the time and money was greatly rewarded and we both have the fruit to show for our labor.

A few hours later and it is now dark and no more seabass just some 100 lb. plus batrays, and we are debating to stick it out and wait for the gray, or head in, we stick it out. We caught a few hours of sleep and every now and then taylor's clicker goes of with some nice sized sculpin..

admin.php

admin.php

admin.php

the sculpin were caught on a jig sqiud combo, fished the gray with no luck just som short calico bass and so we called it a day at around 8:30 a.m. on our way in a few friends of ours hailed us on the radio and said they were on there way, b y that time we were only about 5 miles outside of the harbor so we decided to clean our fish and and we met up with them and passed them about 20 or so pieces of bait.one of them took this pic...

admin.php

Mission accomplished, and we are both on the board.....till next time, Brian on the "It'll Do"

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, I did not know that you had a triumph boat.... nicely done on the fish. What does it normaly take in fuel to get to the islands, and where do you launch from??

We launch out of Davie's in L.B. We top of the tank before each trip, usually about 100 bucks.Depending on how much running around we do over there.I'd say we burn an average of about 40 gallons a trip. Hope that helps.

Nice work on the WSB spending the night on a CC this time of year that's dedication! I'm finally going to get out tomorrow, I've been obsessed with working the bugs out of my new 30yr. old motorcycle for the last few weeks, looks like the bike is ready for summer assuming nothing else just falls off. So now its time to bloody up the boat. I wont get to Santa Rosa tomorrow with gas near $3.50 it's an awfully long run for 1 fish limits. Santa Cruz Island then the Gap will have to do. Hope your enjoying that big old WSB I cant think of any thing that tastes better on a grill than fresh Sea Bass and you got a mess of it!
Thanks for the post and photos
Victor

hey guys im just finishing getting my new boat rigged up and im interested in your electronics setups,do you have radar on the boat,i noticed you do calico do you use it alot or more for just in case?what kind of anchor are you using spending the night on the backside to give you a secure hold?

cat. island

We have the furuno 1623 on ours, and only use it while running in the dark or daytime fog,which actually came in real handy our last time out when we almost were hit by a couple of buddy boaters running atleast 25 knts. and niether had radar.We seen them coming and switched courses and soon realize theyhad no idea we were even there.So we came to a slow pace and just waited until we could see them while getting closer and closer on the radar, they had to break hard left at the last min.Way too close for me, don't know why anyone would even think about running that speed in the fog with no radar.It was about a 50 ft. visability.

As for the anchor we have a 11 lb. claw with 30 ft. 1/4 " galvanized chain and about 300 ft. of line.We drited once pretty good one night, but the wind was really rippin' that night and I was up and down keeping an eye on it.Other than that I swear by our anchor set up which my buddy taylor rigged up for us, flawless.

By the way, on the backside, we'll usually stay at the harbor or a cove.
hope that helps...

i have exactly the same anchor setup as you,glad to hear that the 11 pd claw is working well i was a little worried that i should have went with the 16.as for the radar im picking up the 1623 and dropping it off at johnson marine on friday to be installed with my new e box and other goodies ,i was thinking of skipping the radar for awhile but your story reminded me that its only when you need something that you wish you had it .....thanks for the input bro.also mark over at pacific edge has some great lights that you can use with a small generator ,i use a honda eu 2000 with a metal halide it really makes a difference when you have a hard time gettin to float,i dont mind fishin the popsicles up in the green water tight to the beach but ya gotta have the live out in deeper water or on the bait grounds it really makes a difference

Back