Diving from a Triumph??? Need Help.

I

Island_Diver

Anyone,

I currently live in Hawaii and I am looking at picking up a Triumph boat. I don't know much about them other than what I have read in their site and from your posts on this page. I am going to be doing a lot of diving off of it. I was curious if any of you have been using your boat for diving...and if you have what is the ease of diving from the Triumph and what if any modifications have you made to make it easier and more enjoyable. Please feel free to drop any hints/comments/suggestions in an e-mail.

Many Mahalos,
Mike

[email protected]

Hi Islanddiver. I know there are several folks on this board that dive with their Triumph. AstroDiver is on here quite alot. There are also at least two members of the site who reside or did reside earlier this year in Hawaii. I hope you get the input you're looking for! :)

Welcome Aboard Mike :)
I pulled a quick search on the word "Diving" from the site search tool at the bottom of the home page and produced quite a list (not all about Diving since that is such a opened ended search) but still many topics you may want to review...

Merry Christmas!
Dave

I dive off my 210....I have yet to add tank holders, because of the storage space I felt there is no need for that. I added a swim step, I stand on the lower end of the engine , then onto the swim step, and up I go. As for exiting it would be the sit and flop backwards way.

I use the RollControl tank holders on my 190 bay, 4 tanks starboard side centered between where the stock rod holders used to be and two more in the foward port side storage/livewell. added a swim ladder to round it out. I'm thinking about removing the side rails to make it easier to splash. right now we snap the BC,s (with tanks) on a line and throw them overboard then mount the gear in the water. It's easy once you get the hang of it. Kind of a pain in a chop though.

Island_Diver
Yea, the guys are right. I dive off my Logic 186 a lot. Went to the FL Keys last month for some real diving.

I don't have any tank brackets yet but am looking into it.

To get into the water, I sit up front at the rear end of the front deck with my dive gear on. I cross my legs at my ankles and do a back roll into the water. I didn't cross my legs once and caught one leg on something on the way out. That hurt!
Since our boats are so light, they bob around so I not going to try a giant stride into the water. Beside, my balance isn't what is use to be either. I don't want to damage me, someone else or the boat....like I could?

I have a extending Stainless Steel ladder that hangs over the side, at the left rear at the seat area. I have a safety line into the cleat so I don't lose the ladder. I put my weight belt in the boat at the aft end where the outboard hangs. Then, I drop out of my BC and hook it to the aft tow eyehook or a short rope. Then it's up the ladder to pull in the dive gear.
Take care in putting your fins into the boat. They can bounce off something and be right back into the water. Been there, done that!

We normally just lay our tanks on the deck of the boat, two to each side. We measured OspreyVic's front storage compartment and it's 34 inches long. That leaves plenty of room for tanks. My 108 LP steel tank is 31 inches long. I don't have storage compartments in my deck. Waaaaa! BooHoo!

Hope that helps some.

Hey Putershark, I like your talking fish avatar. 8^)

190 Bay as dive platform

Hello all, this is my first post as I just bought a '02 190 Bay about a month ago. It was in mint condition and my second ropelene boat in a row. I stay on Cudjoe Key 23 miles north of Key West in Florida for 4 months every winter ( here right now ) and I dive from my boat. I do not have side mount tank holders, but rather the type that slips around the tanks and keeps them solid on the floor while travelling. They are only $10 a pair on ebay from a few sellers. As for the diving part, the 190 Bay is a perfect platform without spending $50 k on a dive boat. I put all gear on, and exit by backfalling from the front end just where the deck drops to the lower floor. My Bimini strap is in the way so I just detach the strap until I am done diving. I have a swim platform with ladder off the back but they are not really designed for exiting full of gear so I prefer to inflate my BC, remove gear and get out on platform, then lift gear into boat. This is especially helpful on rough water days. Change your tank with a full one, put on gear and repeat. I dive at Looe Key reef, American shoal, Little Palm island etc. Florida rocks when it comes to diving. The water is super warm, the fish, shark and barricuda are always a thrill to watch and the days are always sunny. If anyone is ever down in the Keys in the winter and wants someone to dive with give me a holler by email at [email protected]. Take care all and Happy New Year.

Open Invite

SGBlue,

Thanks for the info brother. I bought a couple SS carabiner clips that I attached to about 8ft of light line with loops at the other end for easy on/off of the rear cleat next to swim step. I just clip that badboy off and then hoist her on up. As for your invite..that would be great...I hope to make to Florida sometime in the future and diving would be a top priority...i'll surely keep that in mind. The same invite is open to you and anyone else here on the forum that could stand to enjoy some of the great Hawaii diving here on the islands. Also got a screeming deal on a complete rod/reel setup. So just gotta spend the infinite amount of money on random tackle and get those outriggers mounted and i'm off to hunt down some giant yellowfin tuna and marlin. I wish I had the pic from a buddy that landed an 800lb+ marlin in a 15 foot open bow boat. Seeing that boat come to the dock was hilarious. They tied the monster of a fish off to the side of the boat and then creeped the eight miles back to shore. They even made the news here.

Mike

You lucky dog Island_Diver living in Hawai'i. Which Island are you on? I've been wanting to go to Hawai'i for a dive trip and stay for free. Rent a van and camp in it.
I got to go back in 1992 with my family. My Mother was born and raised in Hawai'i. Have you ever seen the photo in National Geographic of the young girls standing in front of the surfboards taken in the late 1930's? There was a swimsuit issue a few years back that had the photo. It was my mom and her friends in the photo. Kind of cool, huh?

I just have to get the camping diver types to go on the trip.

Back