DOA Lures

B

bobwalter

Just came home from a seminar given by Mark Nichols Of DOA Lures. Great seminar. Lots of tips. One that I really think will help me was to not fish plastic baits too fast. I and many others try to impart too much action on the baits. He had a good point. Watch fish in an aquarium. What do they do? Not much. They normally either swim slowly or just suspend in one place. Most fishermen (fisherpersons) try to move it too fast. He said to snap it once or twice, take up the slack, reel one or two cranks slowly letting it settle, snap again, take up slack ...... you get the point.
He also suggested that you should cast across the current and let it carry the bait. Adjust where in the water column with weight. Also, don't cast too far when drifting in the current. You will get fewer snags when your line runs at a 45 degree angle from your rod. Then you can feel the bait hit structure and just lift it over and keep fishing.
Gave tips on rigging with pinch weights and worm hooks and jig heads. He also passed a few baits out (not too many). Had about 40 people there. Very interesting. It sounded like fishing is a daily thing for him. Does a lot of wade fishing in the Indian River.
If you get a chance to attend one of his seminars, don't miss it.
Bob:)

Great tips Bob and the DVD by DOA (recommended buy) goes into such in great detail with on the water shots helping greatly. Flip side of the coin though, is that you cannot cover (rule out) a lot of water with such an bait / approach so I try and limit my use of them (though can be deadly) to...
  • Pitching docks and I will drop the weight back even more on the shrimp for a even slower fall (very deadly) with a spinning rod.
  • Follow up bait after a blow up and miss on a surface lure like a skitterwalk
  • Edge work (stay in the sand) along Oyster bars with a Terror Eyez model after rolling through the same area with a shallow running crankbait and or Nemire spoon.
So send me a PM Bob, and we will plan a trip (soonish) to go put all your new knowledge to work for sure :D

Back