Finding marine charts of Sea of Cortez

katfish

Registered Member
City
Three Rivers
Does anyone have a link to charts of Mexican waters, similar to our NOAA charts that we can pull up on line for free. I'm planning my next trip to Loreto and considering bringing my boat down. I'm researching some of the better spots the local pangueros have put us on in recent years.

Yes I have., with no luck. I'm looking for a resource I can view on line, but to no avail, as of yet.

Do you have a gps chartplotter on board? My chip covers all the way down. I often sit in my boat at home and plan my course of action for the weekend, especially for my long runs.

Might try this site.... EarthNC - Nautical Data for a Digital World » Blog Archive » San Carlos Mexico Nautical Points of Interest on the Sea of Cortez

The Log from the Sea of Cortez is a book written by [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Steinbeck"]John Steinbeck[/ame], published in 1951, makes for some very good reading..

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Log_from_the_Sea_of_Cortez]The Log from the Sea of Cortez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

My charts and crusing books are not new but many things do not change too much through the years!

I have sailed in the Sea of Cortez at length and it is a great environment. Can get very rough with a strong nortwest wind. Well over 5000ft deep...7000ft. reported in some spots.

A real aquatic paradise/incubator!

HIGH&DRY

Thanks for the feedback. I may have to do a 30 day free trial to access charts on EarthNC. I really don't want to pay for anything I may not use at this time. Sounds great for sailing long range. Nefarious, you almost solved another problem for me. I will climb into my boat this weekend(parked in my driveway), plug in my Garmin and see what it can do for me. However, I have a Garmin 498 which, I believe, only has charts of US, Hawaii and Alaska. I can order additional chips for it, and will, if I venture south of the border. For now I'll keep searching. Thanks again, guys.

I have been visiting Loreto since '77. No PC's back then and we did just fine without charts. Majority of the water is deep. If you get close to shore, put a spotter in the bow and cut back on the speed. Pangeros are also a wonderful clue as to.safe areas as opposed to the less safe' I always watch them closely. Go to Mexfish.com or bajanomad.com for good info and advice.

Thanks for the reply. I was reviewing some older posts last night and came across one of yours and was thinking of contacting you and wouldn't ya know, you shoot one to me tonight. We have been making a yearly trip to Loreto for the past 4 years and have had very good success with one of the pangeros we use regularly. I have found many of the others are hit and miss. Our main panguro has put us on a variety of fish regularly and knows the drop offs and reefs, as well as in shore areas. This coming June, due to the drop in gas, I was considering a drive down to Loreto with my boat. That's why I had a interest in local Loreto charts. My question to you and others is: do you think it's worth it for 5-7 days fishing, driving conditions, and safety issues, considering the latest drug cartel problems. I've driven it many years ago on a surfing trip, but not pulling my new 215. I know it's a two day drive and the road is narrow, but just checking in on your opinion. Also, if you know of any of the local politics in town using your own boat.
Steve

Fishing Loreto

Steve,
I've been coming to Loreto since '77, driven Highway 1 many times and have never had a bad trip. There have been a few mechanical issues, but they were all solvable. My wife left yesterday with my four year-old grandson to get him home for Christmas. I wouldn't let her do that if I thought it was dangerous. S**t can happen, but that applies to the states as well.
There are a few basic rules that most gringos follow: 1) Don't drive after dark, 2) Never take for granted what a Mexican driver is going to do, 3) Always be alert for range animals in the road, 4) Pay attention to road signs - If you see the word "peligroso" SLOW down. 5) Do not be afraid to come to a complete stop in the road if you're meeting a semi in a curvy area. Even the truck drivers will do this. Patience is the key to a safetrip! Last bit of advice, fuel up in El Rosario it's almost 4 hours to the next station.
Basically, keep your sense of humor and take each kilometer one at a time. The real Baja begins after San Quintin. That's when most of us regular travelers really begin to enjoy the drive.
Oh yes, ATM's can be found at any bank, pay for your visa in Loreto, and be sure to get your fishing licenses and park permits. All easily done in Loreto.
As far as your boat is concerned, "no problema." There are many gringo boats down here. Have a VHF radio and monitor channel 78.
Hope this helps. Any further questions, letme know. Dennis

Thanks for the update. Similar rules I followed 20 years ago. Maybe I'll see you down there. I'll let you know when I go.
Steve

Thanks Barry,
They have the charts of Sea of Cortez north and south at a reasonable price, approx $21 each.
Steve

Your Welcome

Glad to help. Post pictures of the trip.

Back