FL tragic boat accident

What do you think about mandatory EPIRB'S for offshore Boaters? Or being a mandatory saftey feature installed by the factory or dealers?
First of all it would save lives. Also the USCG would spend alot less time searching and be able to go strait to the area of the beacon wich in turn would save alot of money.

The only problem with mandatory Epirbs is the cost. The FAA has made ELT's mandatory and since 406mhz has become the standard has mandated that new ELT's must be 406mhz capable. This has made many people make there current 121.5 ELT's last a lot longer. They are extremely expensive to purchase and maintain.

Oh, by the way, even if the coastie's don't monitor the 121.5 mhz Epirbs any more, Aircraft and ATC still does. So they aren't completely useless.

EPIRB's are a mandatory item over here, and to head offshore without one can dent the wallet if you get caught. Regardless if it's mandatory or not, it's really a small price to pay for the safety of yourself and those on board.

I find it strange how many people will spend big dollars on boats, electronics, fishing gear ect, ect yet baulk at spending money on safety gear.

Besides that fact that I am much of a fan of anything that is "mandatory" anymore since we have lost or have to fight for enough of our freedom's as it is... I think the Coast Guard as well as the CAP over the years, has been on more than one EPIRB wild goose chases for parked and empty vessels and aircraft.

We also have to remember that no device is going to shore up for the lack of training, poor choices (pilot error) or the lack of device maintenance. You can load up a boat with every high tech device on the planet and if the units do not work they are useless... Seat belts (like life jackets) only work if you put one on and it is in good working order ;)

Dave,

My thoughts exactly. It's the same thing we saw when GPS first came out, people were lulled into a false sense of security because of the capabilities of the equipment but never payed any attention to it limitations. A lot of people ended up in situations that they had no business being in because of this, too. EPIRBs can have the same effect. The vast majority of EPIRB users that I deal with have them because they know what the full capabilites and limitations are and they have a specific need for one. I used to offer my customer an annual Safety Service that, among other things, would inspect and service their EPIRB. I have a feeling though that the people that used such services are very much the minority of EPIRB owners. Making them mandatory would simply put financial strain on those that really don't need them (like me who will routinely take my 17CC 13 miles offshore but know full well the needed conditions to do so) and not make safer the people that need them (the guys that decide to run out into questionable conditions without wearing or equiping even the most basic of safety protocols.)

The June "09 issue of Sport Fishing Magazine has a report on the fishing/ boating incident in Florida that had three missing/ lost and one rescued from upside down boat hull.

The report states that the fishermen hung a Danforth type anchor on the reef in 100 ft of water. They apparently tied the anchor line to a stern pad eye (as used to secure stern of boat to trailer) and attemped to free the anchor using the 200 H.P. outboard. Combination of engine thrust, torque and loading of boat capsized the boat. The anchor held, the anchor line held and the earth did not move while pulling from the stern quarter of the 20 ft. CC.

Also stated that sea conditions may have contributed to flipping the boat.

Readers of this web site can formulate thier own alternate strategy in a similiar situation.

Also on a side bar in the mag. article; directions to fabricate a reef anchor from re-bar, pipe and two shackles.

Be smart------be safe out there.

Hi all,
Have to agree fully with previous replies. I also have a new AU$580:00 EPIRB and it is compulsory here in Australia. we don't hesitate or even question it because it is law. The difference with the new EPRIBS is that they all HAVE to be registered and fitted with the registration sticker on the EPRIRB. This insures the users address & contact Phone numbers are all correct. It also lists the boats rego No on the sticker, so if you sell it, new owner must register it. This is now preventing allot LESS false alarms, by the emergency services been able to contact the users details to confirm the emergency. My previous Epirb was only updated if I felt like it (was NOT required by law).
But like previously stated, only useful if you can get a hand on it. John and Jason who both just lost their lives, had a new fully working EPIRB on board. It had NOT been able to be used!

Cheers
Ozy Mark

Back