Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
We had / have, a pretty good base of topics for Marine Electronics and other tools. To make it easier to find direct wiring related threads, a new sub forum was created to help address wiring related issues.

Randy and I both feel that as most of our member owners boats age (usually around the 10 year mark) or just in the course of normal repairs or upgrades. Wiring repairs or even complete rewires of the entire harness, may be needed and really good to have a section targeted just for those questions :)

In may cases, factory production boats even if up to ABYC standards, leave a lot to be desired as compared to the custom boat and skiff builders. To me it is real easy to see the difference, does it look like a bird nest with a ton of wiring all clumped with zip ties. Or does it look more like this which to me, is a work of art ;)

badmarine-gallery1-36.jpg

Our goal is to help our members always have the boat start and all systems work, each time you flip on the battery switch and turn the key :cool:

We are also seeking out a SME (Subject Matter Expert) for this section who can help field questions directly related to all things Marine Electrical and Electronics who can help guide us through the needs and tips, too build electrical systems that are more bullet proof while also being easier to find repair and repair faults when they do arise ;)

So if you have any questions, tips, real world product reviews directly related to wiring in the Marine Electrical and Systems Environment, please post those here in this section :)

Thanks again!
Dave

Wow now that is a piece of art. I love it when someone takes pride in their work. :cool:

A good example of Wiring / Rigging done correct, and art work for sure :)

estero-12-1024x576.jpg

Rigging like this can take a lot of a beating from Waves and Chop before you start to have the problems that "loose" harnesses and hoses can develop.

See this Thread for some Tools and Guides to help you get or return yours to being Ship Shape!

May yours always start when you go hit the Key :cool:

The guy's at the "The Skiff Shop" over in Oak Hill, Florida know how to re-wire a Skiff and simply is an art work in it's own way!

And you might get some ideas on how to better route and secure your various harnesses and loose cabling, from watching this quick slide show from them below:

Enjoy, and let them know, that the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you if you reach out to them :cool:

Dave

Speaking about such, unlike many Boat Builders MBG "Maverick Boat Group" puts a lot of time and Engineering into one of their harnesses. So, if you are in a re-wire or rebuild project at this time, this video might also give you some ideas on how to go about yours ;)

And let's see some of your work! For items like this if not done correctly will keep you off the water or worse yet, have you get towed back in :rolleyes:

Best,
Dave

Another awesome example of rewiring to barrow ideas from, this from the Guys over at The Skiff Shop as they were reworking an older (suspect one of the 1st) East Cape Lostman Skiffs. So old in fact that it had the long past ECC (East Cape Canoe) stickers on the hull ;)

162642513_1312298322488578_2203897792395347307_o.jpg

So it appears they build it out on the bench / floor to a new mounting board.

164510925_1312298399155237_7220037577808121351_o.jpg

Then install it and pull the wiring as need through the Skiff and since (which is not common) East Cape wires them after they are built! And quite sure places like The Skiff Shop as well as yourself, will find is a much easier way to go.

As Kevin at East Cape says "If we install it, you can reach it and repair it later on!"

163585035_1312298429155234_7370353173604016901_o.jpg

Enjoy, and let them know, that the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you if you reach out to them.

Dave

Another (and pretty strong) type of conduit example for your wiring upgrade projects via the use of PVC pipe :)

Now might not be the most lightweight way to do it so for us shallow water / weight weenies that run Skiffs in inches of water, and something to consider as compared to your typical split loom type for sure! Be that as it may, would more than likely outlast the boat and if large enough, pretty easy to pull wiring through ;)

20200711_120301.jpg

This is a true Picaso of wiring!
Looking for suggestions to rewire my 1700 Skiff that has a 24 volt trolling motor? Can I do it all with only the two batteries, or will I need a 3rd? Can I run all my 12 volt accessories off one of the trolling motor batteries without damaging anything since it will be set up for 24V. ?
Any suggestions is appreciated!

Impressive stuff the build outs on those wiring harnesses are they not!

But no, you will need three batteries 2 - 12vdc in series for 24VDC in total, OR 1 of the single 24VDC of the newer Lithium types (see picture below) for the 24 volt trolling motor on their own circuit.

24V-50Ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery.jpg

Then, a separate single 12vdc start battery. The are also called House or Ship Service batteries.

Now... With the correct battery switch and wiring. You can isolate and then combine (if needed) power from the trolling motor battery / batteries to help jump a dying start battery. I would be worried though, with killing the rectifier in that expensive engine alternator or worse, the engine ECU by doing such... But that is just me, but I do know that going from 12 (or higher) volts to zero, to 12 again as you make section changes on those switches, are killer to engine ECU's!

And there are some fancy charging units like the Power Pole Charge (expensive $$$) that can handle these chores, and even has an phone application to go along with it which is some real slick technology... But they are now due to Supply Chain issues, almost impossible to get and (some say) hundreds of dollars above the $1200.00 price due to demand. You can read more about them here though:

https://power-pole.com/charge

Personally, I would reach out to our friends at Lectrotab and see if a Sentry Charging unit could work for your needs? Much of that though you are going to need to know what type of Battery / Batteries you are planning to use (Wet Cell, AGM, Lithium) so the charger can handle the different charging requirements.

Drew or one one of his staff could help naturally and you can reach him here:

https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/new-technical-resource-on-the-site-now-for-lectrotab-products.10363/

Hope this helps!
Dave

More information and ideas you can use, from our friends over at MBG (Maverick Boat Group) on this one for a 301 Cobia... But is how they make them for all of their excellent quality craft!

And don't forget the labels on those wire leads when making yours ;)

Thanks Dave!
Not excited about spending a grand on a 24,volt battery. Ill stick with the basics with my budget!
I might just add a forth for accessories.
Curiuos how other 1700 Skiff owners may have set theirs up.

As always, thanks for your feedback!

More wiring harness ideas from MBG this one on the Pathfinder Bay Boat series, but really they are all made the same way there, and great concepts to glean ideas on for your repairs, and upgrades from them :cool:

And may she always start, and everything always work when you go to use yours!
Dave

I have looked over quite a few harnesses in the last few months and seen both good and (let's just say questionable) by some builders. Personally, my take on this subject comes down to two simple concepts...

1. It is not a matter of IF it is going to fail, it is when and even worse in the Marine Environment... And losing power in rough seas can be deadly!
  2. The hull is built to keep the wiring harness dry and secure and that is my attitude on the topic... So, when shopping for any new or used Skiff / Boat for that matter. Pay very close attend to the condition of the wiring harness AND how hard it is going to be to both service it, and or replace it? Even some of the finest built Boats, get a total re-wire after X amount time. What is the condition of yours? And for members of our group that live up North. Winter is a great time to get yours repaired (and secure) or replaced and back up to being "Seaworthy" when she is not getting used for months on end
And that is the purpose of this targeted section to see and compare how a quality harness is built and installed. One that is too long and laying in the bilge wet much of the time, is just a recipe for failure for sure!

And may she always start, and everything always work when you go to use yours!
Dave

Back