Going naked, bare bunks

Pilotman

Participating Member
City
Nanaimo
State
British Columbia
We all know carpet looks nice on bunks and makes one feel better when our toys slide up the carpet rather than any hard surface. It's there any issue going bare bunks? I want to remove the carpet and if the wood is in great condition leave it that way. Here's what I want to accomplish with this idea...

1. Ensuring to smooth down any rough edges, the boat would slide off and on the trailer smoother, putting way less pressure on the weak point in these boats, the bow eye. Wet wood is crazy slippery when wet.

2. Won't need to dunk the truck to load and unload

3. The wood will be able to breathe and dry out after every dunk. (dunks over 50 times a season)

4. Checking your bunks will never again be a guessing game, checking the condition real time is as good as it gets

5. I find wood to be pleasing to the eye, especially if stained a nice colour if that's at all possible

What do you all think? These boats are plastic so we have more room to experiment with these things. Aluminum is a no go with treated lumber, fiberglass gel coat can scratch easily (no beaching) but Triumph owners can do these things. Im trying to figure out if carpet is actually required or is it a thing people have done for ages and we just continue down that same path. A galvanized trailer with nice wood looks pleasing to the eye along with an the benefits listed above.

I know people who have done that with no issues. The people who aren't concerned about what they look like are more apt to do it. I also know a guy who used spruce for his bunks. Very resistant to rot, looks just fine the boat comes on and off no problem.

There are lots of options for covers but Im looking at the natural beauty of wood. Our hulls have an advantage to allow us to do these things so why not. Ill see what the bunks look like and maybe a quick sand thereafter. Im hoping it looks as good in reality as in my head.

Looking forward to seeing some photos.

If raw wood (and I don't see why not and if you can get some Cypress that wears like iron would be great) I would sink those bolts deep enough to cover them with some type of filler, just to help prevent the top of one from becoming like a razor blade and start shaving off hull material :cool:

Not sure what kind of wood is already there but I'll find out. That redwood would look very nice. About what you said with the bolts, do Ez loaders have bolts under or over the bunks?

Probably lag bolts from underneath. And you could continue to do that, or, countersink the heads and use a bolt and nut. When I replaced two of mine, I replaced them with stainless lag bolts underneath like they were originally.

To of mine were completely rotted on the stern end. I wrapped the two new ones in carpet, but I also realized that carpet holds a lot of moisture. Waiting to see how yours turns out, I may do what you're doing one day. Oh, and I just used two pressure treated boards covered in bunk carpet with stainless staples.

Let's hope I don't need to replace any boards. I'll take the carpet off and see the condition. If still good, a quick power wash and done. I'll take pic's.

Wonder "If" anybody has tested and use Lumberock or another one of the other synthetic wood products like we have on our dock?

https://www.lumberock.com/2x8-board2

Might need to add a few more supports (easy enough) to help with possible sage issues pending how far apart yours are, but that might be the end all of all rotting issues for sure :cool:

People in the PNW use a decking called Trex. Mixed reviews, ones who use it swear by them and those who don't feel they are too weak. I like the decking idea along with extra supports. Pick your color and texture and Bob's your uncle. Something i already had my sights on. If my wood is rotten, I might take that chance.

I don't know anybody who's used the synthetic decking material for bunks. And I've heard many of the same worries; not strong enough, needing more support, two slippery... However, I would love to actually see firsthand how that turns out. If it turned out that it works well, especially for Triumphs, and even more so for the heavier 235, that might be something I would do.

Interesting find on this topic :D

https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

And thought this was a great idea for heavier boats

supreme-ultimate-bb-comparison.jpg

new-bunk-boards-install.jpg

Wow, pricey. Well, I mean for the heavier ones recommended for the larger boats. But that would be the ultimate wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Dare say the rest of the trailer (mostly the bunk mounts) would start to wear out faster all things considered, than these bunks.

And along these same lines, use another bunk material and or have a local metal shop fab up the metal backbones for you ;) Having them being able to slide on those metal mounts (if the trailer side mounts were designed for such) would sure would make lining up the bunks and or moving them for even better loading later on sweet!

Supreme-Mount-Diagram.jpg

As far as costs goes, like batteries, do you want to buy 4 of them, or just pay more for one that lasts even longer?

I never seen the Ultimate bunk board before, but it does look great. Here's what I now use: I got tired of the carpet getting ripped all up, so I removed all the carpet from the bunks and screwed 5 1/2" strips of 3/4"King Starboard on top of the treated 2 x 6's. I routed out a small area where the bunk sits under the live well pick up. The king starboard should last forever, but I'll have to keep a eye on the treated lumber- and replace when it rots out. For me, this really helps in getting the boat on and off the trailer. The king Starboard is a lot more slippery.

And I just don't know why one could not use the same bunk material (suspect it is aluminum) that is what we have on our lift, that is covered in a rubber type material?

img_0612-jpg.19694

Back