Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
I don't know what is worse on equipment. acid or salt water :mad: I have found out though (by accident) that Gunk bug and tar remover (really just canned kerosene)
2428464.jpg

works great for keeping your engine covers all nice and shiny and helps keep the mounting bolts for the linkage, etc from rusting after your normal rinse down routine.

Last thing I do before putting the cover on the engine is after the rinse water has dried, I just spray on some on the engine covers and wipe it down with a cotton rag. The covers, prop, etc, all look like new and so far, I have not even gone though my first can as of yet ;) I found out this tip after dragging the boat through a couple hoards of love bugs, and used the bug and tar remover it to get them and off my engine and liked the shine afterwards...Works great, removes water spots, and much faster than using wax after each trip :)

you wax your engine after each trip?? mine is 4 years and no wax job yet. Still looks like new. But i do like the bug and tar remover, i assume it helps prevent future bug sticking issues?

I use to use a light spray wax / paint sealant as a final wipe down, but that is no longer used / needed since I started using the Tar and Bug remover.

Now I have not noticed if it helps prevent future bug issues, but I really doubt it... Since I am wiping it down with a rag, the amount that stays behind as a coating is minimal so much so, that by the time I use the engine again one week later, I never see any kind of oil sheen on the water when I dunk the boat again. Thus it must dry up quite well after a few days setting in the Florida heat.

Back