Great Lakes Walleye

Tfink if your out on the water sat or sun and know where the fish are hiding call out to the work-n-dog I will be on the water prob by mid morning sat and earlier on sunday. weather still is a coin toss on saturday We will be out either way unless the NOAA wave forcast is way off.

Dick, Sorry I didn't catch your post in time, my email is [email protected]. I was out on the water Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. I put out at Fenwick in Oak Harbor. We caught 9 eyes and 1 catfish (trolling no less) total for both days. Some buddies caught their limit both days; 4 guys = 24 on Saturday and 5 guys = 30 on Sunday. Anyway we were all pulling plastics - reef runners, we had the most success with fire tigers. By the way we were only about a mile out in 12' of water. There's a bait shop on Rt 2 called Happy Hookers they're really great there and likely to fill you in on where their hittin' em. With any luck, I may be up there again this coming weekend. I made up some tonight and it was quite good.

Maybe we should think about a Lake Erie Triumph Owners Walleye Tournament. Or just a get together.

I'd be be in to a get together. I'm not ready for a tournament, I've got a lot to learn, there is a science to this whole walleye thing.

I too was out sat afternoon and sunday. You had a much better trip than I did. I knew it would be raining when I got there sat. so I just killed time checking in to the motel and driving around. I stopped by fenwick shortly after the rain had stopped but didnt see anyone launching. I launched out of Meinke just west of there, it is near the motel.
I had all kinds of problems sat just getting out. I had checked everything friday before coming up, everything worked. after I dropped the boat in it would not start. I jumped it and blew all kinds of fuses. took almost an hour before I could get going. caught some perch but my baitwell would not work then I found I did not have any of my dash switches working( read no bilge pump) so we went in.
Spent the next two hrs going over all the wiring replacing more fuses, renting a slip, and getting shore power to my on board charger. Sunday everthing worked well but all my bait was now dead. I tried trolling with dead crawlers and spoons with no luck. I had to buy new jet divers as I had lost several of my dipsy divers. I had no idea how to tell how deep I was with them. I need to take some lessons. But any time on the water is good time.

Sorry you didn't have better luck. Here is a book that is worth every penny of its cost. You can also get it at Gander and Cabelas. It tells running depths for every trolling/diver device made. It even tells you what depths you will get for each depending on what type of line your running on your reels.http://www.amazon.com/Book-Author-Precision-Trolling-Edition/dp/B0018C1FEE

Dick, real bummer.

We went out again last weekend, this time we got up at Fenwick Friday night so we could fish early on Saturday and then again on Sunday. There wasn't a lot of boats out Saturday due to the 4 footers. We toughed it out and pulled 13 eyes after 8 or so hours. Sunday was better morning on water waves were in the 1' range, we pulled 11 eyes in about 4 hours. Pulling Reef Runners in 12' of water by K Can was the real ticket. If you want up to the minute information on what and how, check out out this website: Happy Hooker Live Bait & Tackle Shop. I've learned quite a bit in the past couple of weekends. Rscott is right, get the trollers bible, if you can't get your bait down to the where the eyes are hangin' out you won't have as much success. Couple other tips: use planer boards with tattle tale flags (these are for lite biters). We fished 2 boards on each side and two straight out the back. More than half the time you can't tell if you have anything (big or small) with the regular flags.

Back