Great Lakes Walleye

rscott

Contributing Member
City
Mentor
I got a new personal best walleye Sunday on Lake Erie. We left the dock at 6 AM and started trolling with Planer Boards and Dipsy Divers and had our first fish in about 20 minutes. After trolling for about an hour I started to make a big sweeping turn to go back over a school of bait fish we spotted. As I got about half way thru my turn one of the Dipsy rods bent hard and started pulling line off. My buddy says "your up" and took the wheel. After a good fight I had it in close and my buddy left the wheel long enought to net my new best Walleye, 11 pounds, 30.5 inches. We ended up with 4 Walleye for the day, to go with the 5 we got on Saturday.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
NIce work! :cool:

What's for dinner? lol

Nice work, where at on Lake Erie?

I was there a few weeks ago North West of Kelley's Island, caught a small bass (just big enough to trip a dipsy) and one small perch. The perch was tiny and couldn't trip the dipsy... I have no idea how many miles I dragged that fish around.

Will try again on the 27th.

Nice work, where at on Lake Erie?
We got these fish off of Eastlake (Chagrin River area east of Cleveland) in 51 FOW.
Using spoons and worm harnesses.

Had another great day of trolling for Walleye on Lake Erie Saturday. I took a friend of mine that hasn't had a boat for about 20 years. I can see he really missed it after catching this fish. Who knows maybe a future Triumph owner.

Attachments

• P1010565.jpg
    P1010565.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 13
Those are some nice Eyes.

Question for you. On the rod in the picture is that a line counter mounted to the rod?? I'm not talking about the one on the reel. If it is where did you get it. I troll for salmon on lake Michigan and some of my reels dont have one and it would sure be nice to add one on.

Thanks
HTR

Those are some nice Eyes.

Question for you. On the rod in the picture is that a line counter mounted to the rod?? I'm not talking about the one on the reel. If it is where did you get it. HTR
Yes, it is an add on line counter. I have them on 2 rods that don't have line counter reels. Its made by Shakespeare, Cabela's -- Shakespeare Line Counter, I got them at Gander Mountain. They are not the most reliable but they work most of the time. Put the line in the slot and flip a little lever. When I use them I just try to watch the counter the entire time I let them out to make sure they are counting the whole time. I think they would be more reliable if you use Mono or Fluro line. I use Super Braid and I think the flat profile has a hard time driving the rubber rollers in the counter.

I was up on Erie on Saturday, did no good. Fishing for the eyes and caught 2 sheepshead and 3 small stripers. Certainly nothing worth keep. Oh well, it was still nice be up there.

What part of the Lake were you on? The majority of the Walleye are in the Central Basin now( Cleveland and East ). But this weekend was kind of slow. Everyone on the radio was trying to figure out what they wanted. Worm Harnesses and spoons with some green in them seemed to work best.
Roger

I was north of Huron East of Kelly's. Next weekend I'm heading further west, a guy I know limited out in just a few hours last weekend on Saturday and Sunday. He fishes up there about every weekend.

Hey guys.
I am planing to make a trip to Erie the week of the 20th. I dont know right now if it will be an overnighter to cleveland area or the west basin where I normally go. I wish I knew where the fishes were. That would be nice to know that Huh :) Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. also If anyone would like to team up on the fish let me know.

I'm heading to West Sister Island next weekend. I have the Sportsman's Nothern Ohio Fishing Map Guide and they recommend fishing around the Bass Islands and West Sister. Planning to head up on Saturday and fishing Saturday and Sunday (7/11 and 7/12).

Hey Dick, if your intrested in the Cleveland area I'll be glad to team up with you. We can take both our boats or we can just go in mine. We have been doing pretty good the last couple weeks off my home port of Mentor Lagoons, although they are moving out early this year, we're working in 70+ FOW now. Thats about 12 miles out. I'm going out this evening, I'll let you know how we do!
Roger

Dick,
Well, we went out last night as planned and picked up 5 nice Walleye, 21 to 26.5 inches. After hunting around for a couple hours we finally found them in 50 FOW. We were using spoons and worm harnesses off of both Dipsey's and 40 jets off planer boards. We had a Disey rod and a Jet off of one of the planer boards hit at the exact same time, just as we landed the first fish another Disey rod started hammering with a third, we managed to get all 3 in about 4 minutes. Luckily it was calm and we didn't have any trouble keeping the boat straight while the two of us were reeling and netting. It was a great night on the Lake with an almost full moon. Let me know if you want to come to Cleveland to fish.
Roger

Well believe it or not I am about to get my 1st fishing trip of the yr in this weekend. I will be launching out of Meinke marina in Curtis OH. and fishing sat the 11th and sun the 12th. I have even booked a room at the Lake Erie Lodge near the ramp. I have stayed there before and kind of like it. I hope we can catch something around the islands there.. or maybe drop minnows on the reefs after some perch. Who cares anyway it will be time on the water. I need it.
Roger if the offer is still open I am thinking Cleveland area around the end of the month. Being able to hook up with you would be a great learning experience for me as I am still trying to figure out these Walleye fish.

Sounds good, my July is open and we plan to be fishing anyway. Let me know as soon as you pick a date.
Roger

Dick, I'm in the same boat (so to speak), I've been trying to catch on to the eyes as well. I'm hooking up with guy this weekend who's up there about every week and does well.

Maybe we should think about a Lake Erie Triumph Owners Walleye Tournament. Or just a get together.

Back