Lake Erie

rscott

Contributing Member
City
Mentor
We finally got to try out the new planer board mast set up I made this winter. It turned out to be a rock solid mount, you can see it in the back ground on the bow rail. We went out onto a calm Lake Erie this morning and found the school. We put just one of the planer boards out with 2 lines on it to start with to get a feel for it and 2 Dipsy Divers on the other side. The lines on the planer boards were the only ones producing so we pulled in the Dipsy's and put out the other planer board. I can't see running boards without 3 people on board though, it gets pretty hectic when your in the fish. We ended up with 10 Walleye all over 21 inches.

I'm on the left, my son is on the right.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Went back out the following day and got 13 more Walleye. I am sold on planer boards for Walleye. When the fish part from under the boat they go straight out to where your lines are.
Roger

Thats fantastic Roger. I know nothing about walleye but it looks like a blast to catch. Really nice catch. Glad it worked out for ya.
Roger H.

Your right, they are fun to catch. We usually troll with 4-6 lines at a time, it can quickly become a Chinese fire drill when you pass over a school and get 3 at once. I have been thinking about getting an auto-pilot to free up another pair of hands.

nice fish rscott, i dont know a thing about walleye but they do look good to eat..... where do you put the tartar sauce?:)

We spent Friday evening, till 3 AM, on the lake trolling for Walleye again. We boated 17 keepers, Here is the best one of the night, and my personal best ever, 8 1/2 pounds, 28 inches.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice fish, way to go. Looks like you all know how to catch them. I have heard that walleye are one of the best fish to eat, but have never caught nor tried them, is that true?

JimW

I would have to agree to their tasty nature, however I personaly think that our Great Lakes perch is second to none. More work to clean, but well worth it. The Walleye probably taste so good because they eat a steady diet of perch.

Back