Halibut

aronlevin

Participating Member
Here are some pis of todays catch. 35 lbs pacific halibut 42 inches long.

Attachments

• 4-1 Butt.jpg
    4-1 Butt.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 4-1 Butt 2.jpg
    4-1 Butt 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 51
That's awsome! I've always dreamed of catching a halibut. Unfortunately on the east coast they are pretty much fished out completely. I don't even know any under 40 years of age who says they've caught one before. I get to catch their much smaller cousines the fiesty Fluke. If you are lucky you get a 4 pounder. Nice job!

Aron,

Nice looking early season fish. I live for the halibut fishing up here in Oregon. What port do you fish out of to get Pacific halibut instead of your California fish? I know the Pacifics migrate south into California, but how far down do they routinely go? How far out and what depth do you fish for them?

Oregon's season opened yesterday for waters less that 40 fathoms. Next week we get our first all depth days. Can't wait.

Codfish

Nice fish Aron great way to start the season, how deep and was there bait in the area?

I fish out of Eureka and you have to go out till you get to a minimum of 200 ft. I was in about 230 ft of water when I got it. There was a lot of bait around the 240 to 260 ft depth and saw some what I think were salmon marking on the finder at about 40 to 50 ft down. I would say that it was abot a six or seven mile run from the coast I will check the gps to be postive. I was using a spreader bar and a squid jig with some squid on the hook. Jan I was looking for you, I thought you would be out there. I am going for salmon and butts on saterday. I will have the radio on.

Great stuff Aron, I think you get first prize for the first Pacific Halibut of the year, congratulations!

I was going to try to get out but the wife wasn't feeling well again from the chemo therapy so my plans got changed. Stuff happens. I'll get out there just as soon as I can. :D

Very nice, I see the northern halibutt are not as wide as they are down south here....hey you say you fished out of Eureka...say hi to my sis:)

Nice fish, but we call those chickens!

I lived for eight years on Kodiak Island. I'd put out a herring gill net in April. After zip-lock bagging 100 lbs. of bait (gave the rest away), My wife and I would spend hours fishing Sitkalidik Strait for halibut, our favorite fish. We used 4-6 ounce weights with 10/0 J-hooks. (J-hooks instead of circles because we liked to hit them hard!) We kept for eating any halibut under 60#. We gave away any over. She has caught six exceeding 100# and my best is 180#. We have both lost fish over 200# (Saw them, didn't land them). Oh yes, we rarily fished deeper than 120 feet. ****, it was fun!!

AK fishing

Nefarious,
I hope my post didn't sound like I was minimizing your catch. I lived in So. Cal. for 28 years and used to fish the Carlsbad Lagoon religiously for halibut. A 30 to 40 pounder would have made the local paper. I just wanted to introduce you to a different fishery. The largest halibut I ever saw was 535#, caught commercially. Try to picture that fish on your line! When we went after halibut, I had a 357 magnum pistol and a harpoon with a detachable head. Yes, if the 'but was big, we shot them! How much fun is that!! Survive the winter!!

Back