Hi, I'm new!

Alextang

Registered Member
State
Michigan
Hi all, I am new to the forum and ready to buy the new boat. I will go fishing with my two kids and have decided for something between 24 to 26ft. I am wondering whether I should buy something with twin engines or single engines. Contender and Regulator are two of my favorite brands, hence, can you help me recommend some models?

Alex, my company Tonkin-Travel: Vietnam Private Tour: https://www.tonkin-travel.com/

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Is this a first time boat purchase for you? 24-26' is a nice size in my opinion. Twin engines are nice if you need the power or if you're going to be fishing offshore and want the security of a backup engine if one goes down or if you need the power to get there quickly. My largest boat was a 21.5' center console with a single engine. That was partly an economic decision for me too. :) I don't have any experience with Contender or Regulator boats but they obviously have a strong following. Hopefully someone with some experience with them can reply. Glad you've joined us. :cool:

Good Morning!
Fishing type is important (draft) so that will dictate hull dead-rise and stability. I would also like to factor in a few things that many do not 1st think about that will impact just how well the family can use and enjoy the boat.

• Again hull dead-rise impacts not only draft and ride while underway, but how well she (stable) she sets while at rest or on the anchor. The deeper Vee hulls are great for cutting through the waves, but at rest while on the anchor can really rock and roll around some. If anybody in the family is sensitive to travel (Sea) sickness then the less dead-rise in the hull, the better she will stay planted while on the anchor. Usually moving with the wind blowing into their face is not much of an issue. But just setting there in 90 degree heat with little breeze blowing will send them to the rail :rolleyes:
  • Along these same lines, some are sensitive to smells and even though modern 2 strokes are cleaner than years past, they still smell and simply make more noise than 4 strokes. I just got stuck behind a modern E-Tech the other day and granted is it not the Mosquito killers of old, but I did not stay downwind of that puppy for long ;)
  • Fishing rod storage is also very important for kids of all ages. You need a place where you can place rods (prefer in a rod locker) so somebody does not stumble and fall into one that has exposed hooks!
  • Room for a porta potty. I would be mindful that the Center Console has room for at least a little porta potty for those times someone "has to go" right now. And I would ensure they also have the space inside (and it's kept that way) for them to actually use it.
  • Bow seating, some of these Offshore and Bay Boats really have some a long way and the little back rest for bow seating is really appreciated. Some even fold out of the way
    Flip-out-back-rest-back.jpg
    2102-9.jpg
    so it is not in your way when fighting a big fish and it is dragging you all around the boat.
So I would take the time to look at both Center Console and Bay Boats and generally you will find the Bay Boats are less weight, need less power to move them, and more stable at rest. Now if you are really heading Offshore for longer distances, then Cat Hulls would be another option and they are very stable at rest as compared to your standard Vee hull configuration.

Hope this helps?
Dave

Twins vs a single makes for a very different boat. Very basically, if I were going 26 feet or above (my own personal experience), I would definitely go with twins and be at or close to the manufacturer's max hp rating. Smaller boats, say, 24 feet and below seem to run just fine with a single. Consider the economical running and the cost of maintenance. With twins you'll have twice the maintenance.

I personally prefer the Contender. Regulator makes a great boat too. Last time I was in Florida, I stepped aboard quite a few and absolutely love the Contender. And that boat is in it's element with twins. The "28s" is an awesome boat and would be my choice.

A reliable service provider for maintenance, repairs and warranty would be the decision maker for me to select the engine manufacturer. Just about all new 4 strokes are awesome these days. Some will chime in with a problem they've had, or an experience that wasn't great. But hey, they are just machines. And machines break from time to time.

Good luck finding that new boat! And remember to let us in on what you get.

Back