Hiding the horsepower

dk2943

Registered Member
City
Pinecrest
I am the proud new owner of a 2002 210cc. It came with a Mercury Optimax 225!. Talk about flying! I was concerned at first, as I know the boat is only rated to 200hp, but then I found that the weight of the 200 is the same as the 225. However, today I was advised to remove the horsepower number on the engine as I could get a ticket for overpowering the boat. Is this for real?

It is for real, however, I don't think the Marine Patrol or Coast Guard will ticket you unless you are boarded for other reasons or are involved in an accident.

In the big picture on a Fed Level probably not, but your State Laws may vary (some care some do not) and if they do not... Your insurance company thus your wallet "may" then care if you plow into somebody :eek:

Here is the best source of information on these flotation ratings I know and how they are derived

Deprecated Browser Error

The loop hole is really at the 20 foot mark, does that one foot make that much "actual" difference? Not really, but this is not how the regulations for boat builders are stated and why your high HP Bass boats are 20 feet plus to get around such.

Will changing the sticker on the cowl save you? In most cases it more than likely will if pulled over. They are going to look for more safety related items / gear unless you were flying in some speed zone.

You can almost bet your Estate on the fact that if you do plow into somebody or God Forbid kill someone... State Law Enforcement and the insurance adjusters are going to pull the engine serial number (Regardless of the Cowl) and ask the Factory what that engine was rated at HP wise when built before you go to court :( So really your choice then if you are willing to take that kind of gamble and only your wallet can answer that ;)

I don't know what the CG are like in FL but here in DE they have been out with increasing regularity and the same with the boardings. I've only been stopped by Fish & Wildlife but there have been times where I was fishing and have seen the CG stop & board at least a dozen boats at a time. May be something to consider.

One other note, If you decide to get a boat safety inspection from the USCG Aux. or the US Power Squadron, they do check the capacity plate.

Reckless driving is reckless driving. And safe is safe. I know of no laws about horsepower limitations on our catagory of boats. The rating of horsepower on the boat is from the manufacturer for their liability as far as the structural warranty of the hull. I could gear a 150 to go faster than a 225, or load a 210CC that is powered by a 225 and it might only do 30mph. The boat does not carry a speed rating. If you drive reckless at 20mph your gonna be at fault regardless of HP. That's not to say from a liability standpoint a victim might still attempt to sue in an accident. Like, say if the engine falls off and someone drowns. They could argue the hull was over factory recommended safe stress limits. And you can forget about any insurance paying off.

So, you could skip the insurance and run any risks .......or maybe it would be worth it to trade the engine in on one smaller. Not saying I would, but it is something to think about. :eek:

Really appreciate all of the responses. I will likely cover the "225" as an abundance of caution. I have insurance. It is not expensive and is the cost of keeping it at its location in the fabulous Florida Keys. As to trading down....I don't think so. What I will do is endeavor to always operate my boat in a safe manner.

Florida Statute

Maximum loading and horsepower.
"”
(1) Except for sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats, this section applies to all monohull motorboats less than 20 feet in length that are: manufactured or used primarily for noncommercial use; leased, rented, or chartered to another for the latter's noncommercial use; or engaged in the carrying of six or fewer passengers for hire.

(2) No person shall sell or offer for sale any vessel described in subsection (1) unless said vessel displays the maximum capacity information as prescribed in 33 C.F.R. part 183. This shall not apply to resales, but it is the intent of this section to require dealers and manufacturers to furnish this information upon the original sale.

(3) No person shall operate any vessel described in subsection (1) when said vessel exceeds the maximum weight capacity, maximum persons capacity, or maximum horsepower capacity. If no maximum capacity information is displayed, the capacities shall be calculated as provided in 33 C.F.R. part 183, subparts C and D. This subsection shall not preclude the finding of reckless operation under s. 327.33(1) when a vessel is operated in a grossly overloaded or overpowered condition.

History.
"” s. 11, ch. 59-400; s. 17, ch. 63-105; s. 1, ch. 65-361; s. 2, ch. 97-16.

Note.
"” Former s. 371.60.

You are correct. I have a 17 footer, so that is what I go by. I did not notice DK was a 21 footer.

Back