Trim tabs

They're bitting

Registered Member
City
Cypress
We have a 200 merc. optimax on a 210, and every time there is a third on board we have to send one up to the bow so that we can plain out.Thought about trim tabs. Also we've always noticed that the water in the transom would have this foul smell, almost like sewage.So we decided to take up the covers and seen there was water right up to the covers.We always pull the tabs when they're full, to drain it but it stilll built up i guess.So we thought the water build up along with the weight of the outboard (which i believe is only 50 or so lbs. under the max) had alot to do with our problem plaining out.I was just wondering if anyone had this problem or maybe could moffer some advice. thanks, ........Brian

Hello Brian,

You should have no problem getting your boat on plane even with 3 hefty guys in the back. My 210 w/140 Suzuki does it all the time. You most certainly have a water intrusion problem that is adding a lot of weight to the rear of your boat. I am not sure what covers you are talking about being full. Are they the twin covers in the transom well? If so, that should not be enough weight gain to stop you from planing. Each one only holds about 3-4 gallons. I would guess you have a lot of extra water in your inner hull. See numerous threads about this topic and the simple fix. (Inner hull drains)
I would trouble shoot this immediately. You are wasting time and gas with every trip until you loose the extra weight.

Good luck with it. Codfish

brian
what model year is your 210. the logics benefit from trim tabs due to the 80 gal fuel tank and greater chances of water intrusion into the inner hull makes them squat a tad.
ROBERT

it's a 2004 210 cc and i think we're just gonna drill,and add some plugs this weekend. just waiting on the rule sealant to arrive....that we found out about on this site.i'll post pics of the transom wells ina bit...

Brian,

I also own an '04. Be sure to check thuroughly for the source of your water intrusion. I did the inner hull drain install and have never had more than a few ounces of water come out after a long hard weekend of use on the ocean. I do not yet have trim tabs and I have no trouble getting on plane with a 140hp 4S Suzuki.

The transom well water should be nothing more than a nuisance. The inspection plate modification allows you to empty them and keep the smell down. That weight should not be enough to cause a big problem like you describe.

Let us know what you find when you drill the holes. Some owners have had the water drain for days after drilling. You could go ahead and drill now so the water is gone before you seal it back up with Rule. The Rule holds best when applied to a dry surface.

Good Luck, Codfish

Thanks for the feedback.Along with the rule, we are also waiting on the mod. parts for the plates.I'll post the results.(don't know how to get pics up though,so no well pics....no big deal).......Brian

Bitting
It is easy to upload photos. On the dark blue line above click photos then on that page near upper right clik upload photos, On the screen that comes up select where to send the file, then browse to where the file is on your computer. the directions are pretty easy to follow.
Anyone smart enough to get a triumph boat can do it. :)

I cant believe it took me this long to discover the site.. So many problems have been answered this week. Saturday is the day of truth as the transom deck plate holes as well as the transom drain plug are gettin drilled on the IT'LL DO......Taylor.:D

It always makes me feel good when someone says something like that Taylor. I'm really glad you found the site and have benefited from it. It makes all the work worthwhile. And I'd like to again say thank you to all the members of this site that have made posts, uploaded photos, etc. Your contributions of information make this site work. There are several hundred members who have never made a post however. Maybe it is time for you folksto at say hello and tell us about your Triumph, or the one you're hoping to own some day. :)

Warning

Brian, Hope you have read this thread again or looked at you private messages before you drill your inner hull drain hole. A new member just posted a problem with his drain hole placement. The problem is discussed in a thread dated 2-23-05 "Outer/Inner Hull Drain". Anyone doing this mod should consult this thread before drilling. The specs in the thread pertain to the '04 210CC for sure. Others may not be exactly the same but should be similar.

Codfish

And I have to state the obvious here for legal reasons...when you make a modification recommended by other members of this site, you do so at your own risk. Officially, we always recommend consulting your Triumph dealer before making any modifications. Obviously we all as owners make the call between paying a dealer to do something and doing it ourselves, but this website cannot officially endorse any modification for legal reasons. So proceed at your own risk. :)

thanks for the warning cod, but taylor and i are in it together,we are partners in the "it'll do".needless to say we were disapointed in the results of the placement and the actuall drainage.we now know are trouble is elsewhere and will continue to trouble shoot.we have about three other projects to work on while the water continues to trickle out, couple gallons so far..........also angler,we understand the risks and are stand up guys as i'm sure you are so no worries here.......brian

Thanks Brian. I hope you get the problem worked out. :)

Brian & Taylor, Now that I know you are partners, I just can't figure why your boat will not plane easily if you had only a small amount of water inside the hull.

Do you know what your outboard weighs? How much do the three of you weigh? There has to be a weight reason somewhere. It may just be that your expectations for plane time are different than mine.

I get good performance with 600 plus pounds of angler in the rear. Probably 5-7 seconds from WOT to plane out, no trim tabs. Hope that helps you guys.

codfish

P.S. Randy, I know the site has no liability, I was only trying to prevent more unhappiness.

Thanks Codfish. I assume that most people would understand that we are just a group of boat owners sharing tips and information with one another. But I'm not a lawyer and can't afford to need one, so I'll drop that disclaimer in now and then just to make sure. :p

Cod, the outboard is 497 lbs. and the 2 of us push about 480lbs,and have yet to go WOT, usually keep it at 5500 max.who knows? we'll keep at it and def. post our findings......thank you ,Brian

They're bitting,
I have a Logic 210cc with Yamaha 200 HPDI, I have done the transom drain mod, I do get a bit of water that comes out but usually just a slow drip. However even before the modification I never had a planing problem, that 200 should get you up in about 2 seconds. Let me know how this works out, maybe the motor is mounted in the wrong position? I've seen some posts on this but not sure about it myself, try asking Dick at Merritt Marine.

could be just a Mercury thing! only kidding.........

no one has asked what type prop and pitch of prop you have and what wot do you get w/this prop. too much pitch will not get you up on plane if it robs you of rpms.
GGC

Back