Hot trailer wiring

JaxBoater

Registered Member
City
Jacksonville
I did a search but did not see this issue previously discussed. I towed my Triumph about 150 miles back home Friday after buying it in Rockledge. My vehicle is a 2007 Toyota 4 Runner with factory towing package. This was the first time I towed with it. I purchased a 7 pin to 4 pin converter from the dealer.

When I got home Friday I noticed the wiring harness was hot. Not like melting the plastic to my skin hot, but hot enought that I noticed. I have never had this happen with any other trailer. Today I drove to the ramp 5 minutes away, same thing. Any thoughts on what would cause this? They had to fix the ground wire at the dealer in order to get them to work, I wonder if it has something to do with the way they grounded it?

It should not be HOT, YOU HAVE a problem. Get it checked out, better safe than a fire later.

I had a running light fuse blow when I pulled my 190 form Michigan to Florida. The wires on the running lights on the fenders came unpluged and the hot wire must have touched the frame and blew the fuse.

On my 215 I had the wiring insulation melt at the left side break light and blow the fuses in my truck. When I investigated the problem I found that both of my LED break lights were full of water and I thought that I had found the problem. But when I removed the lights I found that the wires coming out of the back of the light housing was pinched between the housing and the light mounting plate on the trailer. This rubbed the wiring insulation and shorted out the system but not until it melted the wiring. After I seperated the wires the lights still worked after installing a new fuse.
On the back of the lights housing is a grove that the wires should be in so that the wires will not be pinched when bolted onto the trailer. Neather one of mine was in the grove. I did not catch my wiring hot but it did get hot and was hot for some time. You may want to check yours. Its eazy to do, just two nuts on each on and you can see if you have the same problem. Good luck, Bob

And the culprit was......a wire that had gotten pinched in a U-bolt. Problem solved and wiring now cool. Still not sure why it didn't pop a fuse.

Thanks for the replies!

Back