Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
I have been working with RMP (Russell Marine Products) to help me upgrade my current Lowrance system. This combined with future expansion plans like NEMA 2000 interface from the Yamaha, back to the newer Elite 9 unit. And Dee Dee at RMP has been most helpful and just pleasure to work with as I asked a ton of questions!

Some members in the past have asked questions about interfacing NEMA 2000 from the Outboard up to their present GPS Chartplotters. Which is a really cool way to have main or a backup set of digital engine gauges! I though am no expert by any means, on NEMA 2000 data interface / transport method... What it does remind me of and showing my age some, is the old token ring Network interface. What stands out though, is all the components you can "now" attach to your NEMA Network, and then have showing and or control from your Chartplotter / Fishfinder :cool: Just cool stuff!

So for a overivew which helped me a lot in understanding on the basic Network structure. Justin from RMP who can explain it in much simpler terms, shows how the various parts connect to the Network and how they need to be terminated, which may help you picture planned upgrades to your boat on this video here ;)

Hope this helps?
Dave

I upgrade to an HDS gen 2 touch recently and have decided to upgrade my other 16yr old electronics. I have decided that I want to be able interconnect them on an nmea 2000 network. Does anyone think that if I start by connecting to my display before I get any of the other devices would it be a problem for the display if it was alone. If not, already having the powered connections would make adding the newer devices quicker. Or would it be better if I wait until I get another device to connect into the display?

I would say go ahead and set it up the way you want now. Adding devices and extending the backbone is a very simple process.

Another question has arisen since I have been looking into setting up a nmea2000 network. I have noticed that some of the network power drops have a fuse inline on the drop and some don't. It appears to be about 50/50 split. I have also heard that the power drop should be connected directly to the terminal on the battery. I have ANCOR components for the backbone and drops. The power drop does not have a inline fuse. I am wondering if I should look for some way to put a fuse inline or if I would be fine hooking into my fuse panel with the pos and neg lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My backbone power drop is connected to a fuse block that runs directly from the main battery power switch. The backbone doesn't pull much power, and as long as the main is on, the backbone is powered. I would certainly not connect it directly to the battery, as it will always be on. Nor would I connect it to the ignition source. If you're drift fishing or just turn the engine off for some reason, you lose data to your devices.

Back