Humminbird SI

junkman928

Registered Member
City
Aberdeen
Greetings,
Does anyone have any experience with the Hummingbird Side imaging sounders? Any good or bad reports would be appreciated.
Thanks
BS

I put a side imaging Humminbird on my other boat (a Starcraft 19 footer) last summer and played with it all season, all in fresh water in moderately deep lakes. I like gadgets and I admit I had a blast scanning the bottom and think I learned about some new structure to fish, but I can't say it increased my catching. I monunted the transducer deepd in the water than recommended (did it on the initial installation and never stopped to raise it up). As a result, I was able to get good performance at over 30 mph but it really kicked up a rooster tail behind the transom. I plan to transfer it to the 191 DC I have just purchased because I like it as a sonar and it also has a GPS plotter as well, cutting down on the number of screens on the dash. I would also be interested if anyone has put one on a Triumph.

Thanks skinned knuckles, I finally bit the bullet and got one. Talked to a few people about them and all were happy. If the weather ever warms up here I'll get a chance to try it out. Rather big to fit on the console but it all worked out o/k.
BS

Attachments

• running out of room.jpg
    running out of room.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 41
junkman928, when you get a chance to test your new toy, please post your thoughts on it. I've been looking at the Hummingbird side imaging sounders on the internet, and have seriously been considering getting one.

Jack,

If you are seriously considering it, then I would say get one. I have installed several of them and All of the feedback has been 100% positive. This is not the Humminbird from 10 years ago. I'm even goin to put one on my little 170CC when I get a chance. Btw, The boats I have put them on range anywhere from a 14' Zodiac used by the navy to a 65' Sportfishing yacht.

I had a hummingbird fishfinder on my 12 ft. boat that I had back in the latter '80s which was alright, but nothing like what I've read about for the side view Hummingbird's they have now. I currently have a Garmin GPSmap 178 Sounder, which is a combo GPS, depthfinder and fishfinder. I'm very impressed with it's performance, considering a fer years back, you had to rely on a compas and a map to get around.

I would definitely like to get one of the new Hummingbirds so that I would be able to find a few more fishing holes. I appreciate the feedback on the Hummingbird, as it will help me make a decision on whether to replace the Garmin I currently have.

Humminbird

If you have room to keep the Garmin, and there is nothing wrong with it, I would say keep it and get the Humminbird. I believe in redundancy whenever possible. In the late '90s early 2000's I would have told you steer clear of Humminbird. But ever since they got bought by Johnson Outdoors (the same guys who make Minn Kota), It seems like everything the come out with just makes me re-think my opinion. I am really impressed with their lineup, and hope they continue on the current trend of better, more capable produts. One thing I would like to see from them Is a true Network interface and Satellite weather compatability. But I'm sure we are only a year or two away. And hopefully, they make it backwards compatible with the current line of Side Imaging Products.

Hey Jack,
Sorry a little slow getting back. The unit works great. Very user friendly, big screen and great detail. I have went over two wrecks I know of on the susky and the detail is fantastic. I actually use the regular sonar more when fishing and the side imaging when checking the bottom looking for bumps, rocks and other wrecks. Had to play with the transducer a bit to get a high speed readout and even now starts to break up around 25mph. O/k though cause I normally cruise at 20. Quite a few bucks to put down on one but am happy I did. Side note..First time out take someone with you. You'll get so consumed with the new toy you find yourself not paying attention to whats in front of you.

I agree with you on the redundancy. I keep a hand held gps unit on board just in case the Garmin goes out. It bailed me out one time already. I was going across a lake when my Garmin went out, which come to find out the cable connections had become a little corroded. So with my handheld, I was able to get to the cut that I had to take to get back to the dock. As far a s redundency goes, I even have a hand held bilge pump on board.

hummingbird si

Not bashing on the Hummingbird but it seems the hummingbird's quality and side imaging technology picked up just after they bought BottomLine. I had a BottomLine and Hummingbird has not been helpful in supporting my unit. That is one of the reasons why I went with an eagle for repurchase.
I have been out with a couple of people with the hummingbird si. Both are happy with their puchase but kept their lowrance for bottom views and keep the si on side view.
I am impressed but tne $1,000 to get started is not an option for me. I need a power pole and a couple of other things but not sure when I will get to it.
Keep us updated on the learning curve progress with the new unit.
Lindsay

Humminbird

A mention about Humminbird and quality. Humminbird was generally not worth a look while Techsonic was a company. Johnson outdoors (Minn-Kota, Old Towne, Coleman, Bottom Line, Cannon, and many many more) purchased Techsonic and promptly discontinued the Zercom and Fish eye lines to focus on bringing the attention to quality to the Humminbird brand. And may I say they have done remarkably well in this endeavour. as a part of this, they also rolled the Fishin Buddy systems into Humminbird's Product line and otherwise dissolved Bottom Line, formerly a Computroll asset with Cannon Downriggers. The main reason I can give for the lack of support is that Humminbird has never manufactured anything for bottom line and therefore does not have the resources or materials to offer any support. The only place I can recommend is to search for a service center for Bottom Line parts and repair.

Back