Is this a problem?

T

tarheelborn66

Other than looking bad, is this a problem? There isn't any damage to the lower unit metal, just paint scraped off. I ran aground a few times this past weekend at low speeds. (The channels have changed a bit since the last time I was on the water as a captain of a boat)

Lower_unit.JPG

tarheelborn66,
That looks like a lot of running aground! Did all that happen in one weekend? If it was my motor and I did all of that in a short period of time I would be concerned about how much sand/silt that sucked into the waterpump/impeller. I would at the minimum make sure I flushed fresh water through the engine for at least 20 minutes or whatever your engine manual calls for. I got a can of yamaha spray paint from my boat dealer and I just spray over the few scratch marks when I put it up for the winter. Some of the other guys may have some better info.
John D.

Yes, it happened in one weekend. Yeah, I am very bummed about it.

I tried going up the White Oak river and was in the "supposed" channel (between the markers) but ran aground about 4 times there and ran aground 2 times in New River Inlet. I flushed the motor very well after each day of use. (approximately 20 minutes each day) Most of it happened in the White Oak. My girlfriend did a study on the American Eel (on the White Oak River) and wanted to go up there. After running aground the 4 times, I turned around.

Down here they're scars of everyday fishing. My Honda has seen a few itself due to me trying to make it a skinnier water boat than it's designed for. It doesn't signify any problem with the motor at all, as long as it's still peeing. Wear your scars proudly as they signify your desire to go where others fear to tread. :D

Fishin' DC's said:
Down here they're scars of everyday fishing. My Honda has seen a few itself due to me trying to make it a skinnier water boat than it's designed for. It doesn't signify any problem with the motor at all, as long as it's still peeing. Wear your scars proudly as they signify your desire to go where others fear to tread. :D
Well said, I have scares too. when I beach my boat, i use my motor sometimes to keep the boat from moving, I put her right in the sand. no big deal.

Well,
Mine is designed for skinny water work and I still got tired of spraying paint on my Honda after each use, so I installed (picture in my gallery) one of these puppy's

http://www.skeggardmarine.com

Now no more paint work (war wound repair) after each Jungle Warfare trip :D

Enjoy!
Dave

Back