James River blue cat fishing.. 3rd weekend in Feb.

boostjunkie1

Contributing Member
City
Lexington
OK guys. We are heading up the 3rd weekend (weekend after Valentine's Day). I will be there Friday through Mondays that weekend. I have 2 guys going with me for easier fishing and to make it cheaper. Get your junk in the truck and lets go!

OK everyone. All the locals need to help me out on where to fish please. Should I start at deep bottom or stay around Hopewell? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Boost

Well I would love to but I already have a 5 hour trip coming up that way..... We have 3 different boats coming in our group and are looking forward to fishing the James again. Last year we had a huge fish come off and are bound and determined to get back at her :)..... I really wish some of the locals on here would chime in on the fishing..how it's been...what to look for...ect...

THANKS for the link..... Hopefully this blast of bad weather is the last for the year! I am ready to start fishing again and the James is the beginning of it all :D........ I really wish some more Triumphs would show up. Not much interest on here it seems :confused:......

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo.............Where is everybody :confused:..... Last year there was allot more interest with the James from the locals??????

** The weather has been terrible and I hope that we get some relief after this weekends blow!

All by Myself here huh?

Yeah the club idea looked good on paper, but hasn't gone very far. :)

That stinks for real! All these people with boats and no one will use them. We may end up somewhere south due to bad weather. We are getting hammered by snow around here. Darn global warming, it must be that hole in the ozone they were talking about in the 80's.....

Sorry bubba,

No money, and that weekend is me anniversary. Somehow I don't see the misses going for catfishin as a present :D

Sorry bubba,

No money, and that weekend is me anniversary. Somehow I don't see the misses going for catfishin as a present :D

Ha! Dont know until you try? Your boat still needs a water pump anyway ;)

Ha! Dont know until you try? Your boat still needs a water pump anyway ;)

lol, actually, got that with the tax refund Jsut gotta wait for it to warm up to put it in. Too freaking cold to work outside for free.

We have had a really hard time getting bait. Everything is in 40 feet of water. Found some this evening and finally got some fresh bait. Any locals that have some tips please post or PM me with info/number.

OK...slackers ;)..... Here is the report!

* Water was full of wood and other debris but lacking of fish and bait???? I would aSSume that with all of the rain and snow melt the shad took a hike to deeper water out in the river channels......Well guess what? That is where I found them :D... Had to tie another 20' of line to the cast net to get to them but the bait was there. Got some good bait and then the fishing was ON! We caught around 35 total for the trip....31 pounds was the biggest, then 28, 25, 24, on down......... I will post some pics as soon as I get them on my PC. What was icing on the cake though was the locals that were asking us for bait and what we were doing to catch some fish. Many a boat had NULL for the Sat and Sun they were all out. Monday morning just before the front the bite was ON!

Glad you made the trip and caught some fish...even if Moby Dick eluded you this time. Good job finding the bait...I was out on the Potomac this past Monday and it was like seining the Dead Sea...nothing.

Congrats again!

I may head back in early march to try it again for a short weekend. I want to land a 60+ soon :)

Here you all go.... These are some of the bigger fish....

28 pound blue James River 2010.jpg

Bretts 25 pound blue 2010.jpg

James 24 pounder 2010.jpg

Mikes Hames River 31 pound Blue 2010.jpg

Fish look nice, but you get uglier every time :D

Back