Large Fish Cradle

cagrove

Contributing Member
Bear with me...I was watching an episode of Hooked on the TIVO recently and they were trying to find out why White Sturgeon weren't reproducing in the Columbia River in Washington State and Canada. They were trying to catch these sturgeon and transport them to a hatchery to remove eggs for raising in tanks. They showed a cradle that they would put the sturgeon in that rested on the sides of the boat with the fish suspended in water in the middle. It looked to be made out of some kind of tarp material with wooden poles for handles.

I was thinking that this would be an ideal item to have aboard my boat in case I caught a record Catfish and wanted to transport it for certification and then release it again. I don't need a large livewell taking up space in my boat for a once-in-a-lifetime event and I don't fish tournaments...all of my fishing is CPR.

So, does any one have any idea where you might find one of these cradles? I've done some web surfing but all I find are the ones made of netting. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Make you own? Buy a couple stairway handrails at local hardware and make a sling out of nylon or canvas.

Make you own? Buy a couple stairway handrails at local hardware and make a sling out of nylon or canvas.

I was trying to take the easy way out first but that is an option for sure...most likely will end up doing that. But it never hurts to ask. Thanks.

Seen those used quite a bit by those guys who hunt big Pike and Muskie on TV and those are some nasty looking fish :D I have also seen those used by the Tarpon Tournament guys to hang big Poons at the weight ins.

A Google search on the words "Fish Cradle" may turn something up ;)

Chuck,
Check these fish bags out from Melton Tackle.
Search - fish bag . I saw them while thumbing through one of there catalogs tonight. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
none of those bags would keep the fish alive very long. You might think along the lines of a Tuna Tube. It's a large PVC tube you mount vertically and pump raw water up from bottom. Place the fish in the tube, mouth down. It keeps the fish immobile but alive. Commonly used to keep bait alive for marlin fishing.

none of those bags would keep the fish alive very long. You might think along the lines of a Tuna Tube. It's a large PVC tube you mount vertically and pump raw water up from bottom. Place the fish in the tube, mouth down. It keeps the fish immobile but alive. Commonly used to keep bait alive for marlin fishing.

That is an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. However, I would need to have one at least 16 inches in diameter. That coupled with the length of 50+ inches makes it a little large for my 17 foot boat. I may be overthinking this somewhat. A simple washdown system when I could run a hose into the fishes mouth and pump fresh water through its gills might be all I really need to keep it alive. I really appreciate everyone's "brainstorming" ideas.

How about a small plastic kiddie pool? Again size/shape might be a problem but probably the least costly option mentioned.

How about a small plastic kiddie pool? Again size/shape might be a problem but probably the least costly option mentioned.

The size is the problem...I think I'm just going to have to make what I need...something easily stowable and always available. I'm sure there's a commercial solution for moving large fish but finding it might be a real chore. Thanks again for the ideas though.

Chuck i have put considerable thought into something similar. I gave consideration to the Monster tuna tubes. Due to your reasoning and the proliferation of catch and release in most tourneys, the market is wide open for some sort of keep alive system that doesnt take valuable boat floor space. This is one of the biggest problems i know of among most of my friends with small to medium size boats. I am experimenting with using my front compartments on my 190 bay with recirculating pump but it would be a slam dunk if the two compartments were one large compartment instead of two.
Your idea of something outside the gunnel is a good one also. i need to give it some more thought.
Keep us posted and good luck with the hawgs!

BigBird,
Right now I'm in the process of making a cradle. I'm going to use two stout poles (aluminum fence posts) to span the width of the boat just in front of the CC and attach a cut down tarp for the sling. The plan is to rest the poles on the gunnels and fill it with water and see how the boat handles the extra weight and make any modifications as needed. I'll keep you posted and hopefully add some pictures as I go through the process. You know us catfish guys, always the optimist...records are made to be broken.

Tight lines.

Too bad you don't have a 215, plenty of fish box storage areas........they'll even hold enough water to keep fish alive.

Too bad you don't have a 215, plenty of fish box storage areas........they'll even hold enough water to keep fish alive.

Everything in life is a compromise...I would love to have a 215 but it won't fit in my garage and other storage isn't an option. My 170CC is a great boat for what I need...I could always switch to catching smaller fish but who wants to do that?

Back