Magnetic Compass

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
Not exactly electronic......but a backup for electronics..... the compass card on my magnetic compass has tumbled and has a big bubble (see picture). I haven't been out since I noticed it, but have the feeling that it's kaput. Does anyone have any idea whether it can be remedied, or do I have to buy a new one? (Boat is level in the picture)

Attachments

• boat 003.jpg
    boat 003.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Well, I did a little research. It looks like if there's a big bubble and the card has tipped, as mine has, it could, in some instances, be repaired. But the Danforth model that I have is not repairable (the case is glued) and Danforth no longer makes any compasses. So it looks like I'll be replacing it with a flush-mounted Ritchie F-83 Voyager, which is similar in size, but will require enlarging the mounting hole a bit. I might have to reconsider the model, however, depending on how it fits with the recessed trays either side of the compass.

Attachments

• f-83-200.jpg
    f-83-200.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have had very good luck with the Ritchie SS series. On one of my other boats I had the SS5000 and on my 210 I have run the SS1000 for over 10 years with no issures. It is very smooth and stable in rough conditions. (I ordered the optional removable cover for time on trailer.)
30 miles out.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, that's good to know. I plan to get the cover, too. Ritchie has a 5 year warranty, and they're repairable, too. I'm still looking at several Ritchies, and I think I can mount the F82DR in the same 3 1/4" mounting hole as the Danforth.

I imagine alot depends on the style of compass card you're used to as well. I have always preferred the flat card while I see your Danforth is a direct reading type. Different strokes for....... :) Either way it's always fun to put new stuff on the boat.

I like the flat card, too, but where it's mounted on my boat, I'd have to stand on my tiptoes to see it clearly. The F83 and F82DR are marked so they can be read both as a flat card and a direct read, unlike the Danforth, which is direct read only.

I believe I'm having the same problem with the compass in my 215, so I'll probably be changing mine also.

Yeah, but they won't....can't...repair the Danforth Cruiser compass (click on Danforth Compasses in their menu on the left) that's on my 195CC. So I've bought the Ritchie compass and cover from them, that they suggest as a suitable replacement.

Last edited:
I just installed the F-83W In my 215 yesterday. Had to enlarge the old hole some and the flange for the mounting screws overhangs the recessed trays a bit. Looks alright but I don't think it's as nice an install as the F-82 would have been. I just liked the dial better on the F-83.

Mine arrives tomorrow by UPS, and I expect that the flange will overhang a bit more on mine also. But I opted for the F82DR, which according to the dimensions in the illustration (Ritchie's own illustration, not Viking's, which didn't make much sense), should fit in the same hole. The compass card looked the same on the F83 and the F82DR, so I opted for the latter, even though it be black instead of white. I didn't much care for the idea of the white compass card. I'll be curious to see how the green light looks at night, as compared with the red that I'm used to.

Peace, make sure to swing the boat after installing the compass to check and correct for any deviation. Also, turn on various electrical (lights, pumps, gps, radios, depth sounders, chart readers, etc.) items around it and see if they affect the readings. :)

If you got the cover, too, I found on my 195CC that I had to trim a little from the front side of the cover where it sits against the windshield. But the cover still fits nice 'n tight. I always leave the cover on when the boat is sitting and also when trailering.

Back