Mounting A Transducer

F

feejer

Has anyone mounted (glued) a block of plastic (ropelene) 1/4 inch or so thick to the stern for mounting their transducer instead of using screws. I'm one of the people who think the least amount of screws and holes in the boat the better.

No I have to seen that done. I screwed mine to the hull (with concern but with out problem).

I did it on one of my fiberglass boats, worked out really well

I got the transducer that is located inside the hull. It looks like a hockey puck and I think it gets attached with some type of adhesive. I'm having my dealer do the install with my Garmin 498 GPS/FF combo. It seems pretty good since there is nothing in the water and no screws. Cost around $120.00 at West Marine.

M I M

My transduser is screwed to the hull. I heard that the thru hull will not work on our plastic hulls. I donot know if it is true but I didn't take a chance.

I've done two transducers on my hull without any trouble. I don't know how well a piece would stick to these hulls. I also remember reading something about the through-hull transducers being adversely effected by the material our hulls are made of. It'd be interesting to see if anybody on the board has tried the through-hull. Good luck either way.

I got the transducer that is located inside the hull. It looks like a hockey puck and I think it get attached with some type of adhesive. I'm having my dealer do the install with my Garmin 498 GPS/FF combo. It seems pretty good since there is nothing in the water and no screws. Cost around $120.00 at West Marine.

M I M

Mike, how the heck are you doing a Shoot Thru Transducer??? I thought this could not be done on Triumph Boats. It sounds like you have not tried it yet? Could you post some photo's on where the transducer is mounted. I know what you are talking about. I had a shoot thru on my Sea Hunt, but their is a special place in the bilge to put the puck its then epoxied into place.:confused:

Mike, how the heck are you doing a Shoot Thru Transducer??? I thought this could not be done on Triumph Boats. It sounds like you have not tried it yet? Could you post some photo's on where the transducer is mounted. I know what you are talking about. I had a shoot thru on my Sea Hunt, but their is a special place in the bilge to put the puck its then epoxied into place.:confused:

Feejer,

As far as I know it will shoot a beam trough any type of hull. Wood, metal, fiberglass and ropelene. I'll check with the manufacturer before the dealer does the install. The associate at West Marine said no problem, but we know how that can be at times. It is located in the 2006 catalog page 99 bottm left model # 4352944 Garmin# 010-10327-00

M I M

Feejer,

As far as I know it will shoot a beam trough any type of hull. Wood, metal, fiberglass and ropelene. I'll check with the manufacturer before the dealer does the install. The associate at West Marine said no problem, but we know how that can be at times. It is located in the 2006 catalog page 99 bottm left model # 4352944 Garmin# 010-10327-00

M I M

That guy is blowing smoke. Give Triumph a call to find out what they recommend. Transducer's DO NOT work on just any hull. They work thru fiberglass but it can not have a core (foam) They DO NOT work on metal, I'm not sure it they work thru wood. Check this link out. Its from Lowrance, but All Transducers work the same way.

http://www.lowrance.com/tutorials/transducerguide.asp

MIM
One of the major problems you may face with the "shoot through hull" type transducer would be the adheisive you would have to use. I don't think elastomeric will fit the bill and I don't believe "epoxy" will work on the ropelene. Good luck.
John D.

Isn't the hull a sandwich of ropalene, foam, ropalene?

The airspace (Foam) wll kill the action of your transducer so it won't work. And as I recall the boat owners manual specificaly tells you not to attempt it as it won't work

The associate is full of bull.

I agree with everyone on the shoot through. It will not work due to the foam between the inner and outer hulls. I have had shoot throughs on glass boats. They work where there are no air bubbles in the hull. Most are mounted in epoxy because it can be laid without air bubbles also.

As far as the plastic plate on the transom, I did that but not with just elastomeric sealant. I also put three screws spaced evenly across the plate and then mounted the transducer and the speed/temp sensor to the plate. It has held tight for three full seasons now. I had concerns of fewest holes into the hull and I wanted to allow the transducer to rip free without leaving holes in the hull if it got caught on something while running at speed. I used a heavy foam board, not roplene for the mount board material.

You can see it in my photo of the inner hull drain install.

Codfish

Thanks Fri,
I e-mailed Triumph (no reponse yet) maybe Dick form Merritt may know. Hopefully they'll have an answer. Worst case, i'll return the "Puck" and put on a transom mount. I like the Puck concept, I hope it will work if not i'll save some $$$$ by going to plan B.

M I M

Codfish, Now thats what I'm talking about. Theirs got to be a way to glue the plastice to the hull. When ever I get mine that's the 1st thing I'm going to do.

I talked to Bryant at Triumph. He said "No Way!" to the "Puck". Looks like I'm of to West Marine for an exchange and a couple of $$$$. Goin' to Plan B. Thanks to everyone for the help I would have been ****** if I ended up not doing the research. Glad this forum is here.

M I M

When you get to West Marine give the sales guy a good swift kick in the pants. I see that kind of miss information all the time.

I attached my tranducer right to the transom. No problems at all. The screws that came with it to mount it did not penitrate through the transom. I predrilled only about half an inch and coated the screws with rule when I screwed them in. even if the transducer gets ripped off the boat it willnot let water in. With the location of the mount even a hole would only go to the foam filled area.

admin.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Most transome mounted transducers will pop up if hit by floatsome....sometimes it will cut thru the transducer cable! I run two separate units (not at same time) and they mount easily and the screws are too short to penetrate into the foam core on a Bay 190....still use that Rule.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with both Molar and K9, however I did the ducer mount with the extra plastic before I knew all about the design and makeup of the boat. I had a transducer ripped off a boat, just the screws left so I knew that could happen. With the roplene, which is not as holding of screws as glass, I wanted to have more bite and the failsafe aspect of no water intrusion. My screws go through the plastic plate and about 1/2" into the outer hull of roplene. I was just looking for maximum strength with my mount.

Now that we better understand how the boats are made, and how strong they are, I may go with a straight transom mount on the new 235.

Codfish

WHOA! Codfish - I note that last line you kinda slipped in there! Guess you
are serious about that 235 - cool. You'll be one of the first on the west
coast I figure. I want a ride!

On the subject of "ducers", thought I'd relate that I had mine (Airmar) beat up
pretty good in Baja last year while pulled into an island for a potty break. Surge moved the boat laterally against some rocks. It severely bent portions of the mounting bracket and external portion of two screws (which I subsequently replaced) but the sensor was intact. I bought the boat used - it was screwed directly with the factory screws and rule.....Barry

Back