New Axle Springs

215fan

Registered Member
City
Winter Haven
The last time I had the boat out I noticed the springs and u-bolts were in bad shape. At first I was surprised at how bad they were but after thinking about it, it's been 8 years of saltwater use so I guess it's time. I picked up new springs and hardware from Champion Trailers in Tampa for less than $150. I swapped out the starboard side today and will do the other side tomorrow. The first set was a learning process and it was a lot quicker to do the other axle. After the rust flaked off of the old u-bolts I realized that they were worse than they looked. The thinnest point on one bolt was .242"... Pretty scary. I'll be back in business next weekend chasing some fish.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Springs1.jpg
    Springs1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 38
nice, no pics of the new ones? I have been thinking of doing mine , but because my boat stays in the water most of the time I have been putting it off, But I have thought of a trip to the keys so I would have to do it before that trip although they are no were near as bad as yours were ...

i looked at mine yesterday they are getting bad but not like yours.salt water is ruff.. good post 215fan

I sprayed the new ones with corrosion x and then greased the dog poop out of them. Hopefully that help prolong the life of the new springs. I plan on inspecting them regularly from here on out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 23
Back