New Boat Owner In New Jersey

G

greenapple

Hello, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Eric K. and I live with my wife near Atlantic City, New Jersey. I bought a 17CC with a 75hp 4 stroke about 3 weeks ago. I have to say for this size boat, this is one of the best performing ones I have ever been in. Here on the east coast, we have the Atlantic ocean and some of the best fishing around. I have been out there 8 times and have been catching fluke, weakfish, (seatrout) croakers and just got into the big bluefish. I am sending a picture along (hope I know how) for everyone to see. Can't wait for the big stripers to start running.
Eric K.

Attachments

• 103_0330.jpg
    103_0330.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 99
Welcome Erik!

My soon to be in-laws live in Lynnewood (sp), right out side of Atlantic City. You chose a great boat! Congrats!

Nice blue! This is one of the stripers I released last weekend. Maybe he'll come your way in the coming weeks...

watermark.php

Congragulations on you new boat. I have a place in Bowers Beach Delaware maybe i wil see you fishing sometime. They are great boats!

Nice blue Eric! Congratulations on the boat and I'm glad you found performanceoutdoors.net! :)

Congrats on the new boat!! I have the same setup and am very happy with it. Still messing around with the right propeller though. Which prop did they put on your boat? I have used the 13x19 and 13x17 but may end up going down to a 13x15.

how's your boat performance?

Hi Greenapple,

I have a 170bass with a 75hp. I was wondering what kind of speed yu are getting out of your boat. I have had mine up to 43mph, but I think it should go faster.

woodNfish

PROP&SPEED

Answers for Tygh and WoodNfish,

For the propeller that is on the motor,I have the stock one that came with it,what size it is I have no idea. I am happy with it and from what I read, it should give you the best performance. I am not an expert on outboards, but why change the prop? Right now I am out all day fishing (bay and ocean) and am only using between 4 to 5 gallons of gas a day. But I keep the speed between 25 to 30 mph. Speaking of speed, with two adults,full tank of gas, poles and tackle I am can get it up to 39mph. With just me with full tank I had it up to 44mph. I guess if the wind was to my back, I might hit 45mph. :)

Greenapple

Mine will get up to 39mph with a 19p prop, but for Southern Cal, that is scary in open ocean. But, I could not get the rpms high enough. Switched to a 17p prop and got the rpms to 5200 and am trying a 15p tonight. I usually carry larger loads (people and dive equipment) so a lower pitch prop will keep the engine from lugging.

My big issue right now is the horrible lean the boat experiences when up on plane. It is not really a weight distribution problem, as it occurs when I am solo. Had another person stand on the port side and was able to get the boat to go straight, but otherwise, there is the dangerous lean to the starboard. Next step is to get the boat out of the water and check the hull.

TYGH,
Like I had said before, I am not the expert on outboard motors but I do remember when I bought the boat I was told that if I was to replace the anode on the motor to make sure I mark the position it is in now. If not and it is in a different position when you replace it, it would make the boat lean or pull to one side or the other. Could that be your problem? It was never set up correct? I am sure that there are pro's on this board that could answer if that could be the problem.
Greenapple

TYGH,
Does your 17CC "lean" to Starboard or"pull" to the right? Just curious as to which it is that you are experiencing.I have a 17CC and it pulled a little to the right until I adjusted the tab on the engine. Sometimes it will lean into the wind if it's blowing pretty good; right or left.
John D.

Back