New Product from Megaware - The BatteryGuard

I bought a couple of these for the battery trays for my new trolling motor set up. I got them for $20 each, figured I couldn’t go wrong. They aren’t rubber. It’s almost like they are made out of plastic worm material.

I would like to know more about the science behind the negative effects vibrating batteries.

In simple terms... Maybe better stated, as simple as I can make it ;)

Scale builds up on the cell walls during the charging and discharging cycles. If (more like when) it breaks off and falls down in enough volume to the bottom of the case... It shorts out two cells (you can many times see such as a bulge in the side of the battery case) and then it drops from a 12 VDC range battery, to one of 10 VDC or less.

Now, quality batteries that use pure lead cells helps greatly in this longevity process for sure, but be willing to pay for those units like a Odyssey Battery.

This might help explain some of those basic build differences in Batteries:
https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/are-your-batteries-ready.1157/

Years ago, many years now... We use to "rebuild" batteries back at the shop (if you could call it that) by cleaning / rinsing them all out, with a garden hose while they were flipped upside down. And then refilling with them fresh acid, and placing them on a long slow charge in hopes of getting them back into the 12VDC range. Did not always work for a long periods of time, but at times, we were able to get them to survive for 6 months or so longer IF they did recover naturally.

Base line is this, the less shock placed on them, the less chance of during the recharging process, that this scale would not drop down, and short out 2 cells at the bottom making them too weak to turn over an engine or worse (just as bad) drop the ECU voltage below 10.5 VDC and sending the engine ECU into a default limp home mode, with the engine running very poor and smoking like a burning hay barn...

Weak batteries / poor grounds anything dropping static voltage, and create all kinds of issues for computer controlled engines... Tunes ups (really a dead term) nowadays, can consist of simply installing a fresh fully charged battery, this so all the control systems and sensors feeding data back to the ECU, are working "as designed" so having a battery and wiring system in prime shape, can greatly effect engine operation, fuel economy and performance.

Hope this helps!
Dave

Back