On-Board charger instal question???

mondo80

Registered Member
City
Circleville
I just recently installed a Promite 5/5 10amp dual bank charger with a deepcycle battery under the center console in my 170CC. My concern is that I had mounted the on-board charger next to the battery on the floor board. The instructions I realized after seemed to imply that the chager was desined to be mounted verticle or horizontal. It made no mention whether for or against mounting it to the floor/flat, as I have done under my console. It does seem to work just fine. Does anyone know if the way I mounted it is OK???? Or should I remount vertical or horizontal.

Hope you can help.

I think the installation of horizontal would be flat. ____________ were vertical would be with the like mounted to a side wall. I believe they want you to try to avoid mounting at an odd angle.

Even though most chargers are waterproof/water-resistant you should mount them as high as possible to ensure they stay waterproof/water-resistant, especially for their connections.If your boat gets swamped,you may float for a while, but the electronics are the first to fail.therefore, you cannot start your motor or run your bilge or lights. Coat your electrical connections with dielectric grease, liquid tape,heat shrink tubing or a combination.I agree with K9RENO, either on the side of the console or flat, but higher up.I would be afraid if the battery came loose, it might booger the wiring or charger if mounted on the floor next to it. You did not say what battery type you have under your console. If it is a wet cell, I would not mount any charger above the battery for it gives off a gas when being charged and if I am not mistaken, is corrosive to electronics. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Charger Mounting

Most Battery charger manufacturers recommend mounting an onboard charger vertically +- 5 Degrees to help keep the charger within designed operating temperatures. They also have recommended clearance dimensions around the charger for this same reason (normally between 1-2 inches) I have not seen a charger (120v AC) that is designed to be mounted horizontally, although many on-water charging systems (12-36v dC) are designed to mount that way. Hope this Helps!

Back