Outboard Hydrofoil

ssjrrupp

Registered Member
City
Hubertus
I was just wondering if anyone has installed a Hydrofoil on their outboard.

Mine has always felt a little sluggish out of the hole and takes a bit to come to plane. I was told by a friend with a large aluminum bass boat that he added a hydrofoil and it solved the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Hi Justin,

I added a hydrofoil (Bob's Machine Shop) after reading many reviews on this site. I have a 170 DC with a 75HP Yamaha. The boat does get up on plane faster, also stays on plane at a lower speed, and handles much better at low speed when not on plane. The best testimony I can give is that after the install my wife declared that it was the best investment made on the boat to date! The install was fairly easy, and took well under an hour, if I remember correctly. A quick search on Bobs Machine Shop, or hydrofoils should provide lots of info

Justin,
I also added a Bobs machine shop "Stabilizer Plate" to my 170CC when I had it. I found the results to be just like RKOLAs. It has a smaller profile than the larger "whale tail" types, but the performance is noticeably better. I've thought about putting one on my 195CC but I'll wait to decide if I need trim tabs or not first. Good luck.
JD

I have a BMS stabilizer on my 195cc and love it. The boat jumps out of the water and on plane. Mine didn't quite fit my Honda 135 right out of the box though. Luckily I have a machine shop and made the needed alterations in just a few minutes.

Back