Possible Future Logic 150 Owner

DMack

Registered Member
State
MA
Hello,
I am looking at a 1998 Logic 150 side console with a 2001 Yamaha 40hp stroke motor. I am on the verge of pulling the trigger and will join up fully if I do. I have done all the internet research on these boats so now I am an expert thanks to Google! Anyways I am also looking at a 1994 Key West 1520 side console for a little less but the motor needs a shift shaft. I am really leaning towards the Logic. Any advice would be great and if I do end up with it I'll post up!
Dan

Hi Dan and welcome aboard!
1st question is what are your needs and intended use for this Skiff? What type of Ecosystem are you fishing in, and is it more important to take on some chop or be more stable in shallow water or under foot?

Plan on fishing in the harbor, beaching and exploring shallow areas, watersports and teaching my boys how to run the boat so they can gain some experience. A little chop but nothing too crazy. Mostly protected areas and open areas on calm days. Planning to keep it on a mooring shallow enough to wade out to it, hop in and go!

Last edited:
For me, when I think of sub 17 foot Skiff's this is what comes to mind:

But many times that type of Skiff (though makes a great Platform to draw ideas from) is a little on the tippy side for some users ;) It does though get in some seriously skinny water and very easy to pole around!

If the boys are going to use it for training, then I would be looking for the one that has the most beam for it will be more stable. What was the engine configuration on the Key West?

One of the many benefits to the Triumph is not being concerned about running aground on the beach, bumping a log, rocks, etc. Triumphs eat that up. A glass boat is great, and I've owned a few, but any of those obstacles would cause damage to any other boat.

Last edited:
Yeah we would be beaching it a lot. The Key West has a mid 90s Yamaha 55hp 2 stroke that needs a shift shaft replacement which means pulling the powerhead- a 50/50 chance of snapping off the bolts. Not really into a project like that right now and can't afford to repower. The motor on the Logic is a clean looking 2001 Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke. It's turn key as opposed to the Key West.

I LOVED my Yamaha. The new owner of my 215cc (that I should have never sold. I hate saying that.) still has zero problems. Sounds like you're finding decision answers....

Maintenance on both the boat and outboard is much less on the Triumph / Yamaha platform. I don't sell them, I just like mine....

Sounds like (at this point) the old Triumph with the 4 stroke is the "Logical" route to take ;)

Just be mindful of a few things many seem to forget about when looking at a Triumph no matter the age or condition...

1. The factory is "Dead Jim" (Old Star Trek saying) and not going to get resurrected. Matter of fact, most if not all of the Molds are now in the junk yard. So some parts, you are simply not going to be able to find or if you do $$$$ Make sure you look her over well!
  2. Fishing Rod storage on that model as well as many others in that line and other builders for the matter, is exposed! One slip and stumble (another reason why I am not a fan of Flip Flops on my Skiffs) and someone could find a exposed hook in some nasty spot. This were other builders might at least have under gunnel rod storage. I would be looking for a good way to really secure both lures and hooks, anytime the rod is not being actually used :)
  3. Speaking along those lines (under gunnel rod storage) certain upgrades on a Triumph Hull require some real thinking "outside" of the box or simply cannot be made. Make sure that general layout is going to work for your needs, for you are limited by both space and raw materials to add items. That is a great little Skiff, but has next to zero forward and rear casting decks. What might be easier to add to glass or metal boat like taking a older Bass Boat and adding more deck space for casting and storage, might be a real pain to try and add to that one. See example below...
1544646778404.png

Hope this helps!
Dave

Back