Power washer.

HighTechRedneck

Contributing Member
City
Montgomery
I know cleaning our boats have been talked about a lot and I have tried all the suggestions. best I have found is softscrub with bleach but this takes alot of elbow grease.
Question I have is what size power washer do you use. I use a 1750psi washer and it really only cleans off the heavy dirt and not the dirt that is embeded into the boat like shoe marks. I always have to scrub it by hand to really get it clean. I was thinking of renting a 3500psi washer just to see what it can do but i figured I would ask first.
Also no mater how hard i scrub I still have the little black dots on the boat. one time I scrubed with soft scrub for 10 minutes in one small spot and then another 5min with a magic eraser and the black dots are still there.

Thanks in advance.
HTR

Great for boats too

Here's what I have at home for things like deck, concrete, siding jobs...safe on boats as well, at 2500 psi, combined with Krud, your boat cleaning will be fun again...well, some of us :)

2500 psi.jpg

krud.jpg

Mine is 3000 psi and I do not need any more power. The only caution I have is get as good as you can afford. Went thru 3 from Home Depot then got smarter. Could have almost paid for my good one if I had started with it for what I wasted on junk that was more expensive to repair than replace. The washers at Home Depot have decent motors that can be serviced, the pumps are all molded units that make the total package a throw away.

PRessure Washers

So Vic, what do you consider a good unit and why? I have been looking at different units but haven't made up my mind as yet because I am not sure what I really need versus what it costs. The boat, (as far as I know at the moment), will be my primary usage. Thanks.

Bill, it is a hard call. We use our pressure washer to clean the house a few times each year, clean the pool deck about 3 times, clean the driveway and sidewalk a couple of times, and to clean the boat and trailer after every use.

We purchased ours from a local dealer for D/A Industries - Pressure Washers - Agricultural Sprayers and Supply and spent $1,295 in 2004. The manufacturer uses standard pumps and Honda motors and has parts you can order from them for any repair if you want to.

We are NOT saying to spend that much money, but after 3 tries from Home Depot our good one instead of throwing our money away. The pump we have now is like the motor, it can be repaired. Home depot pumps, at least up to 2004, could not be repaired, even though Home Depot said they could. In that Home Depot does NOT do any repair work, I would first suggest you find a local company that states that they can repair the pump on a big box pressure washer.

I currently have a electric model from the home depot but if I was to buy a gas one a HONDA motor is a MUST have. They last much longer than the others. I used to work for a landscaping company and all of our equipment had honda motors. all the equipment was old and always started right up. When it comes to small engines you get what you pay for.

I currently have a electric model from the home depot but if I was to buy a gas one a HONDA motor is a MUST have. They last much longer than the others. I used to work for a landscaping company and all of our equipment had honda motors. all the equipment was old and always started right up. When it comes to small engines you get what you pay for.

Well then, the Troy Built 2500 psi is for you...Honda engine and $299.00 at Lowe's;)

I've got the Troy Built 2550 (Brigg's Stratton engine) from Lowe's and work's fine, 4th season. I used it more last season having the boat than the first 3 season uses combined. Watch out with some of the highest pressure nozzles as it is possible to put holes in cushions or skin (draw blood). This is my second washer, as the first one blew the water pump after only one season (forget the brand).
The soft scrub with bleach is great for that final wash in the winter just before putting the cover on the boat. Cover now on for 3 months and still looks great inside. You can really tell the difference between areas scrubbed versus not: I forgot to do the dry storage area under the center console which now shows quite a bit of mold.

Most engines will last longer than the water pump. If the water pump can not be repaired or replaced economically, you throw away a perfectly good motor.

Not if you use it as a Go-Cart engine for the kids or as I did many years ago (showing my age) mounted one on old a chain drive tricycle :D Man was that puppy dangerous :eek:

My pressure washer is 2750psi and works pretty well. Also, I have a friend who works at Lowe's and I was able to get a returned model that was normally around $300 for $100. I would check with your local Lowe's or Home Depot and ask if they have any. They usually don't advertise these or even have them on the floor, but if you ask they will tell you. My friend said alot of times especially with things like power washers people will buy them, use them once to clean something and then return them. They are not factory reconditioned, but they are checked and tested before they are resold. Just something to consider so you can put your money towards being on the water.

Update on Troy Bilt 2550 and 2500 models @ Lowe's...

The 2550 with Briggs & Stratton engine is $299.00

The 2500 with a Honda engine is $329.00...the Honda engine is my pick;)

Back