Rev limiter On Suzuki engine

Stormi

Participating Member
City
San Diego
My rev limiter light (red) on the dash stays on all the time.
I Have a 2006 Suzuki 115hp engine on a 190 bay. It does not compromise the boat operation at all.
I tried the service reset process but it did not help.
What can I do to resolve the problem and should I be worried about the engine?
Thank you for your replies.

I think that the only way that you'll know for sure what your problem is, is to take it to someone who can scan the ECM for fault codes. The rev limiter will engage under three circumstances. First, overspeed, of course. But it will also activate in response to low oil pressure, and with an overheat condition. In the instance of overspeed, the rev limiter light will illuminate, and it will reduce RPMs to approx 3000 RPM and there is no audible alarm sounded. In the other two instances, it will light the rev limiter light and be accompanied by the other light (oil pressure or overheat) plus an audible alarm. In the case of low oil pressure, it will reduce RPM to approx 1000; for overheat, it will reduce RPM to approx 3000. If it's just an overspeed condition, it should auto reset once you manually reduce throttle to <=3000 RPM for one second or more. It will not reset under the other conditions as long as that condition remains uncorrected. It might be caused by a faulty sensor (hopefully), either oil pressure sensor, or water temp or exhaust temp sensors. I'd check for faulty sensors first, but do try and get it scanned. Hopefully, your indication that it does not affect engine operation is a sign that's it's really just a glitch somewhere, and not indicative of a real problem.

Thank you Harper for your reply.
I have an appointment next week with a Suzuki mechanic.

Stormi.......just wondering if you got a satisfactory resolution to this problem.

I had a mechanic look at it and the scann did not show any problems. At this point I just let it go. I was out on the water last weekend and the boat ran just fine.

Back